General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Redlazer

Default Opinions needed

I'm building a motor for my 01. I have tekid block, I'm looking to see if the Shelby get 500 crank or a boss crank will fit, if not I'm going with cobra crank. Thinking Manley connecting rods and pistions. I'm thinking of sticking with the 2v heads (not sure of which one open to opinions also on 4v conversion). I'm needing opinions on intakes. I have a procharger p1sc on it right now, I'm looking for sticking with procharger not p1sc or going with whipple opinions? As far as numbers I'm at 450rwtq and 414rwhp, but I'm looking to be around 850-1000. Thank you.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:37 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I am not sure on your choice of crankshafts. The Boss (5.0) may work but I think the GT500 (5.4/5.8) will be too much stroke for your Teksid block. If wanting to increase displacement by a significant amount I think it would be a better option to use a 5.0 block.

Not sure on intake either. Your stated goal of 800+ rwhp will definitely have outgrown the stock PI's capability by about 300.

For blower, sounds like you already know your P1 won't be coming along for the ride. P1SC is a good blower for goals up to about the mid 500rw range. D1SC is capable of much more, and could probably take you where you wanna go. There are other centri's like Paxton Novi 2000 that are capable of huge numbers. A screw blower like KB or Whipple is also an excellent option, but the power curve and driving characteristics of centri vs screw are very different. You need to do your homework and decide which will be best suited to you. That said, I think for your goals a centri would be a better choice; big numbers like you're going for also mean big torque. With a screw blower that torque is gonna hit in a very overwhelming way pretty low in the rpm range. But again, do your homework and decide what's best for you.

Speaking of driving characteristics, I hope this will be mostly a track car. IMO, there's just no reasonable way to have the sort of power you're looking for to be useable in street trim on an SN95. It basically just turns the car into a tornado on wheels, lol. Friend of mine has a built '96 GT... 5.1 stroker, TF 44cc heads, big cams, 2.8KB blower. Fully built suspension and chassis. Car makes around 650rw. It's barely streetable, barely. Torque comes on at like 2500 rpm, I think he makes over 500lb/ft at that speed. He loves the car, but says he enjoyed it more when he just had a centri blower and made mid-400hp. And that's not the first time I've heard that from people making numbers like that.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:01 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

+1 ^^^

Great point about the street car power levels..... There really is a thing as too much power lol.

But on the other hand, I hope your not turning your Saleen into a track only car.....

Welcome to the forum by the way, glad to have you.