General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Help! High idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:44 AM
Soggybottomboys

Default Help! High idle

So few weeks ago I got my engine washed to de grease my engine so it would look cleaner and ever since than it was super suttery and hard to start and one day it wouldn't stay alive by its self but since Than I replaced throttle position sensor both my o2 and coolant temp and all new spark plugs and that got it to stay alive and than take away they spudder on it and got it driveable but now the idle sits at 1500 tons sitting there at a dead stop but moving around and drive around town the idle stays at 2000-2500rpms and the car will accelerate by its self fil lits gets to those rpms and ever since than the engine fan stop spinning when it's suppose to be spinning so stop make pit stops every 5 minutes from it over heating I wired it to my radio so when ever my radio on my fans on so it run cold now so I don't know if that would cause also a high idle and in the morning when it's first time starting up in the morning it's super easy to start and I don't have to have my foot on the gas it starts like normal but it's super lopey but than check engine light flash 3-4 times bring idle up to 2g than drops and cleans up idle but goes back to 1500rpms. Driving it to like Walmart and starting it back up I have to have my foot floors when cranking it to get it to barley start and some time I have to just sit there and keep cranking it till it finally starts again but any advice helps
Old 03-29-2017, 03:22 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

it would help to know what year make and model car this is your talking about,,, but generally high idle is caused by a vacuum leak some place. You didnt use a pressure washer did you ? Hopefully you didnt get water into the computer pr where it plugs in.

The check engine light is telling you somthing,,, look up how to check the codes for your year car,, 96 and up mustang gts can be taken to autozone to have the codes read,,, earlier year mustang gts with the 5.0L you can read them your self using a jumper and counting the flashes on the dash.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Soggybottomboys

Sadly I did use a pressure washer and I did do a vacuum leak test with a cigar I had and stuffed some shirts in the throttle body and found a like that goes into the back of the intake and blew smoke in that saw it was coming it my egr but we blocked that off and it did nothing at all and I can't find any more
Old 03-29-2017, 07:44 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

you still never mentioned what year or model mustang you have
Old 03-29-2017, 09:13 PM
Soggybottomboys

94 mustang 5.0 ho
Old 03-30-2017, 11:52 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

If your 100% positive there are no vacuum leaks, ( Im still skeptical ) the only other thing I can think of is that something is holding the throttle plate open to much. Possibly the cruise control cable got knocked out of adjustment some how or the accelerator is sticking.

I know you said you put some smoke into the intake system,, but did you just blow it in or did you use compressed air to force it through the system? Im still convinced its a vacuum leak that your not seeing.

Look up how to make a smoke machine using a paint can or coffee can. You dont want to put mor than about 5-10 psi into the system or else it could start blowing hoses off. So youll need to regulate the air pressure.

Last edited by dawson1112; 03-30-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Soggybottomboys

I block off the end of the throttle body and blew it out of my mouth into the intake from a hose that goes to a port on the bottoms of the intake but the only places it came out was the egr and throttle position sensor but I can try again
Old 03-30-2017, 08:46 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

You need to put some compressed air behind it and it takes alot of smoke.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Soggybottomboys

I pulled the codes
334 543 and 121
Old 04-01-2017, 04:59 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

code 121 is the only one that really pops out at me,,, It says that Throttle closed voltage is higher or lower than expected. You need to check the TPS voltage and adjust TPS to be at .9v using a digital volt meter. Its the same procedure on all of them to 04 so just take a look at how this is done in the video.