General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

thermostat bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:37 PM
my68

Default thermostat bolts

need help on the length of the thermostat bolts on a 289 engine thank you
Old 07-28-2017, 12:25 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by my68
need help on the length of the thermostat bolts on a 289 engine thank you

Do you have the thermostat housing? The "ears" are about 7/16" thick, add gasket, perhaps 1/16" max., you don't want the bolts to "bottom" in the threaded holes in the intake manifold
(though some go CLEAN THROUGH, and you should check that with a skinny round instrument, a small screwdriver will work. Poke it in each hole; if it "bottoms" put a thumb over it at the manifold surface to measure how deep the hole is.

Bottom line is, use bolts 1" long, they are 5/16-18 in size, if I recall correctly.

If either hole, or both, go through into the coolant cavity behind, coat the bolt threads with sealer before assembling. Permatex #2 is good, or RTV Silicone rubber. imp
Old 07-28-2017, 01:51 PM
my68

thank you , i have a chrome water pump on my car that was giving me clearance for the bolts i started them through the housing but wasnt room i ground them off very slightly where i could start them i didnt want to take the water pump off it worked thank you for your speedy reply