General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

e-brake light

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:18 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

Default e-brake light

i have a 94 gt vert with a 5-speed tranny and it seems that everytime that i hit the brakes, the e-brake light comes on my dash. If i bareley ease on the brakes and the front of the car doesnt dip at all then it is fine, but if the front of the car dips at all then the light comes on until i let off the brake and the car levels back out. does anyone know what this problem could be? is it a short somewhere or something of that sort? any help would be great. thanks alot.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:23 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: e-brake light

Check your brake fluid level.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:19 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like your parking brake cable needs to be adjusted. Just a guess, but it'd probably be worth checking.

I dont think brake fluid would cause that, the only connection your ebrake has to your brakes is a cable.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:32 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: waxyourboard

Sounds like your parking brake cable needs to be adjusted. Just a guess, but it'd probably be worth checking.

I dont think brake fluid would cause that, the only connection your ebrake has to your brakes is a cable.
Wrong! When the fluid level is low, the sensor will pick that up on the master cylinder when turning stopping or taking off. Triggering the brake light to come on.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:05 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

So low fluid level would cause the indicator for your emergency brake light to come on? Doesn't really make sense to me, because the emergency brake doesnt have anything to do with the fluid level
Old 10-28-2005, 04:37 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

So low fluid level would cause the indicator for your emergency brake light to come on? Doesn't really make sense to me, because the emergency brake doesnt have anything to do with the fluid level
First off, NO car has an EMERGENCY brake. They have PARKING brakes. Second, YES, when the brake fluid level falls below a specific level, the RED brake warning lite comes on. The same WARNING lite comes on when your PARKING brake is engaged. The lite is a warning to let you know SOMETHING in the braking system isn't right. Wether it be the fact your parking brake is engaged, or the fluid level is low.......
Old 10-28-2005, 05:49 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

i just checked the brake fluid, and it is almost to the MAX line so it cant be that. any other suggestions??
Old 10-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: ryan1994mustang

i just checked the brake fluid, and it is almost to the MAX line so it cant be that. any other suggestions??
Sensor itself could be bad or clogged.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:25 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

First off, NO car has an EMERGENCY brake. They have PARKING brakes. Second, YES, when the brake fluid level falls below a specific level, the RED brake warning lite comes on. The same WARNING lite comes on when your PARKING brake is engaged. The lite is a warning to let you know SOMETHING in the braking system isn't right. Wether it be the fact your parking brake is engaged, or the fluid level is low.......
Woah there cowboy, back off on that hostility a little bit [sm=bangbang.gif]

Anywho, after a quick search, it might be something having to do with your proportioning valve.

If you can't figure it out, take it in a shop, have them figure out what it is (for free, of course) and decide whether or not you want to fix it yourself or at all

..oh and it could be an emergency brake if you wanted to... say you had an emergency where you needed your rear tires to lock up. or you had an emergency that involved parking on a hill. Stop being a dictionary, buddy.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:58 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

Woah there cowboy, back off on that hostility a little bit [sm=bangbang.gif]

Anywho, after a quick search, it might be something having to do with your proportioning valve.

If you can't figure it out, take it in a shop, have them figure out what it is (for free, of course) and decide whether or not you want to fix it yourself or at all

..oh and it could be an emergency brake if you wanted to... say you had an emergency where you needed your rear tires to lock up. or you had an emergency that involved parking on a hill. Stop being a dictionary, buddy.
Not hostile at all, and not a dictonary, just a Mechanic, well, shop manager, who is ASE certified in brakes. That's all.

Quick Reply: e-brake light