General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Auto Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:04 AM
Philwait

Default Auto Shifting Problem

I have just had a shifting problem with my 2008 Saleen Mustang.

As far as I know the transmission is stock standard. When manually shifting up through the gears (1-2-3-D) it does not engage Drive, but gets stuck in 3. When first starting off and selecting Drive through Park and Reverse, all is OK. So, it just doesn't get to engage Drive when pushing the shifter forward towards the dash, but it does engage Drive when pulling the shifter back. I suspect this is a cable adjustment issue (If it has a cable and it's not fully electronic?). I really need to get some advice before I take it to somebody here in Australia that has never worked on an 08 Mustang.

Any help appreciated - I just drove 100km in 3rd because at least it was moving and I didn't know what would happen if I stopped to play around with it on the side of the expressway! Thanks
Old 05-24-2018, 06:37 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

what if you just leave it in D? When I want a lower gear my foot just goes down more
Old 05-24-2018, 07:28 AM
ZEN357
2nd Gear Member

Automatics are not to be shifted like manual transmissions. Yes I know with the new transmissions of today and the paddle shifters you are supposed to be able to treat them like manuals, but they are not. If they were you'd have a third pedal!!!! Just my rant!!!!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:17 PM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

1-3 just let's you access the manual valve body. I assume it's a 5 spd auto. Check fluid level. Also could be a bad governor. Governor multiples mainline pressure to shift (usually at 1:1 ratio with MPH). Try adding fluid or doing a drain and refill. Go from there. Keep it simple. Here's a really good write up on how automatics work not written in some foreign language. A good read when you have a few minutes. The sit in general is very helpful with de-mystifying everything automotive.

Let us know what fixes it!

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/autom...nsmission1.htm
Old 05-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Philwait

Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger
1-3 just let's you access the manual valve body. I assume it's a 5 spd auto. Check fluid level. Also could be a bad governor. Governor multiples mainline pressure to shift (usually at 1:1 ratio with MPH). Try adding fluid or doing a drain and refill. Go from there. Keep it simple. Here's a really good write up on how automatics work not written in some foreign language. A good read when you have a few minutes. The sit in general is very helpful with de-mystifying everything automotive.

Let us know what fixes it!

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/autom...nsmission1.htm
Thanks.. a bit of light reading. I'll let you know what I find..
Old 05-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Auto trans on an '08 would be a 5R55S transmission. Which Ford was nice enough to not install a dipstick on. You can R&R the 5 or so quarts of fluid (along with filter change) on a diy basis but filling requires a hand pump and a special fitting to be installed in the pan. There are some YouTube vids on how-to if interested in going that route.

OP, just so we're all on the same page... If you select "D" the transmission only runs through gears 1 - 3 and stays there? Check engine, O/D or the little wrench light in the instrument cluster illuminated or flashing? I'm thinking your problems are probably a little more than a fluid and filter change will solve, somethings not working right in the valve body.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Auto trans on an '08 would be a 5R55S transmission. Which Ford was nice enough to not install a dipstick on. You can R&R the 5 or so quarts of fluid (along with filter change) on a diy basis but filling requires a hand pump and a special fitting to be installed in the pan. There are some YouTube vids on how-to if interested in going that route.

OP, just so we're all on the same page... If you select "D" the transmission only runs through gears 1 - 3 and stays there? Check engine, O/D or the little wrench light in the instrument cluster illuminated or flashing? I'm thinking your problems are probably a little more than a fluid and filter change will solve, somethings not working right in the valve body.
Not all tranny issues on these cars will throw a wrench or check engine light. Only a scanner with the capabilities to read Tranny codes will see potential issues. Auto parts stores don't usually offer that service for free with their handheld devices, just standard OBDII engine codes.

4th gear is D and 5th is OD on these cars just so all the details are completely clear.

4th is a 1:1 on these cars so it's direct drive on the clutch drum inside. 5th is selected by a servo in the transmission and is known to wear out on these transmissions.

It may be a selector cable issue or it may not. It could also be the manual arm that physically connects the shifter to the valve body has some weird wear that keeps from working in both directions. Only way to inspect that is to drop the pan and physically check it.

BTW the input shaft on these transmissions don't do well with long term manual shifting. How do I know? I blew my input shaft that took out the TC and Pump. Ended up getting a remaned installed. And I am stock except for an intake and tune!

If the shifting is sluggish you may want to install a shift kit from Trans-go, Shift Technologies, or install individual upgrades from Sonnax that will firm up and quicken the shifts. I had the kit from Shift Technologies in my tranny, night and day in terms of shift feel. Alternatively there is a completely remanufactured tranny from the guys at Level10. A bit pricey but it is what they say it is, bullet proof.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Philwait

Great information - if I have to pull it apart I'll definitely go for the upgrade. I don't manually step up through the gears much, and it seemed to start after I went over some bumpy gravel road, so I may be lucky and find its something simple. Then again - maybe not!