General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Lug nut key broke

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Jkhawks

Default Lug nut key broke

I have a 05 gt that I was trying to take the wheels off and when I went to use the lug nut key on the lock it broke what are my options to getting the lock off
Old 04-16-2019, 06:45 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Buy four sockets you never plan on using again, heat up the lug, then hammer the socket over
the lock lug.

This guys lug was on WAY too tight, he had to stand and jump on the ratchet:

If you manage to get the socket off the 1st lug, use it again, and so on. You need four just in case
all four are stuck on the lock lug...

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 04-17-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jkhawks
I have a 05 gt that I was trying to take the wheels off and when I went to use the lug nut key on the lock it broke what are my options to getting the lock off
The "trick" lug nuts may often be loosened using a very sharp cold chisel and hammer, angling and driving in the direction of loosening.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:59 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I have always done the hammer socket on, you risk bending the stud with a chisel. If you
miss, you hit the rim... Minimize damages across the board, and use the hammer a socket
on option. It's never failed me, and if someone comes into the shop needing it done, it's
what we do...
Old 04-17-2019, 08:07 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Go to a reputable tire shop, they will have a key that works most likely.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Years ago when mine came up missing I tried a few dealer parts dept's for replacement and also a couple tires shops. It was all no bueno.

As me tinned above I hammered a socket over it with a bfh, 19mm deep in 1/2" drive is what you'll want. I was able to use the same socket for the first 3 and set it in a vise to knock out the spent locking nut, it split open on the last one. You can get an inexpensive socket at Autozone or wherever (Duralast tools have lifetime warranty, so easy exchange when you split it open).
Old 04-17-2019, 10:45 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
I have always done the hammer socket on, you risk bending the stud with a chisel. If you
miss, you hit the rim... Minimize damages across the board, and use the hammer a socket
on option. It's never failed me, and if someone comes into the shop needing it done, it's
what we do...
If they are rounded off, like these, sometimes even cone-shaped, ya can't drive a socket onto them very well. Can a socket grip them tightly enough? Your idea is, a good one, I admit, and if I ever have need to, I'll try it. The hammer and chisel has never damaged anything for me except the lugnut, though; I hit what I aim at!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:26 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I've done the hammer and socket trick on mine before, worked great and I was able to use the same socket on 3 lug nuts before the 3rd finally lodged itself in there too good to get out.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:27 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Unless you have some ungodly wonderful rims and tires, I never saw much need for the locking lugs and found them to be more trouble than they are worth.

Honestly, when was the last time you knew somebody who had their rolling stock stolen while it was on the car? I live all up in da hood and jacking up a car & skinning the wheels is way too much work for the meth/crack heads and pillbillys around here.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:37 PM
Jkhawks

Default I agree

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
Unless you have some ungodly wonderful rims and tires, I never saw much need for the locking lugs and found them to be more trouble than they are worth.

Honestly, when was the last time you knew somebody who had their rolling stock stolen while it was on the car? I live all up in da hood and jacking up a car & skinning the wheels is way too much work for the meth/crack heads and pillbillys around here.
ik i don’t want them on rims anymore but we just bought the car from Copart and that’s how it came

Quick Reply: Lug nut key broke