General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:15 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

Default Fuel Pump

ok well a long time ago about say 2 weeks we had a huge down pour and well my mom had my mustang. Well she goes and parks it in a parking lot in the morning and takes a bus to school well when she gets back to the car(still pouring) and when she tried to start it it wouldn't. OK so i went and checked it out and my fuel pump isn't going on. Now i don't think it just went out because i wasn't having any problem with it. So i have heard that it could be the fuse type thing for it. Can anyone tell me whats going on.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Pump

This is how every fuel pump I've ever had fail died.They would work fine because the brushes inside would make contact as the car bounced and vibrated down the road,but after being shut off and sitting still the brushes wouldn't make contact any more.Sometimes you can take something and reach under the gas tank and hit the spot under the fuel pump and it will start working again.If it does start operating again DON'T TEMPT FATE,use your good luck to drive directly to where it will be replaced and save a tow truck charge.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:54 PM
blkgt50
2nd Gear Member

inside the rear area (hatch area) of the car left of the latch there is a little box with a button sicking out. Push it. that resets the circit between the ignition and the pump. If that doesn't work then you have a fuel pump problem. Mine will trip from time to time. if you need a picture let me know and I will take one of mine and send it to you. good luck
Old 11-02-2005, 11:15 PM
p0rsche23
3rd Gear Member

yeah make sure u reset it first and it should come on, if not its not That difficult to replace but they are expensive(new) and can be a pain if its stuck somewhere where u cant drain the tank first before u lower it...if u need help on replacing let me know but doesnt sound like ya do
Old 11-03-2005, 12:59 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

ok i didn't even know my car had a trip in there. Ok i will check that out tomorrow when i get home.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:37 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

ok little update i check out that switch thing and the red button is pushed down now is that right or not and also how do i reset it.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:10 AM
blkgt50
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure if it's red but mine is white. I would push it and see. I think that it pops up if it has been tripped. Check your relays. if all that checks out then you have a bad fuel pump.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:18 AM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

ok well i went out to my car today after school and tried to start it and it ran for like 2 seconds then died. so i took off that switch and my dad poped it back up and we tried to start it and it still wouldn't start so we are going to check to see if there is power going to the switch and if there is then we are going to try to replace the switch then see if it works.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:00 PM
blkgt50
2nd Gear Member

you should be able to tell if the fuel pump is working or not once you put the key to the on position (car not running). You should here it prime up for a second or two then stop. When was the last time that you replaced you fuel filter? If you get the pump to prime then it might be that you have a clogged fuel filter.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:48 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blkgt50

you should be able to tell if the fuel pump is working or not once you put the key to the on position (car not running). You should here it prime up for a second or two then stop. When was the last time that you replaced you fuel filter? If you get the pump to prime then it might be that you have a clogged fuel filter.
That's what I was thinking, except he says it isn't running... so I didn't post.

But since someone did, do check your fuel filter... it could be super clogged up. Do you often run the tank low? (Below 1/4 or so)

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump