General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buying a stang ... got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Bigrick1103

Default Buying a stang ... got some questions

Hello, Ok im not sure if im in the right spot to post this, if i am sry. But i am going to be purchacing a 1993 ford mustang. The guy said " car also has a king cobra clutch, aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster, hurst short throw shifter. it comes with a 4 cyl t5 trannybellhousing, 373 gears, original hood, and some other stuff i have lying around.
"What would he mean by this >it comes with a 4 cyl t5 i thought they only made 6 and 8 cylinder stangs im new to this
My main question really is i think it has a new motor in there its a 5.0 8 cylinder cobra can the cars chasie handle that ....? agian not sure if im asking the right questions
what sort of things would i need to know and what should i ask the guy before buying it?
thanks again guys figured i would ask you cause i heard you know what ur talking about

Heres exactly what the guy told me about the car:
it has the 5.0 302 5 speed trannt cobra intake flowmasters 75k miles runs great no rust but needs paint and starter works but makes a noise so it may need to be replaced. it has all power options like pwindows plocks cruise tilt ac still works pmirrors comes with some extra parts

car also has a king cobra clutch, aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster, hurst short throw shifter. it comes with a 4 cyl t5 tranny, bellhousing, 373 gears, original hood, and some other stuff i have lying around.

car has 75k miles has not been in an accident that i know of it was dinged in the door fender area like someone backed up and caught the door on something like on the movie tommy boy hasnt been beat since i have owned it its been parked every winter and has never seen snow as far as i know it has the king cobra clutch cobra intake k&n filter and flowmaster exhaust i have 373s to put in it too it needs to be painted and the starter sticks needs an alignment im lookin for probably 600 extra lmk

Thats every thing he told be about the car any questions my Aim is Bigrick1103
Thx again
Old 11-22-2005, 11:13 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a stang ... got some questions

was it a 4cyl car to begin w/??? no 6 cylinder from '87-'93 then w/ the 1994 up they had no 4 cylinder.

not that a converted car is bad(as long as it was done right), but it doesn't have the value of an original v8 car.

get the vin for it.....a v8 car will be like 1facp42-M- (do dashes...but that "m" is the engine code) an "a" means 4 cylinder

i guess he means extra tranny w/ bellhousing, because to my knowledge, a 4cyl. t5 will NOT bolt up to a v8. and you wouldn't wanna do it thatcuz the 4 banger was 88 hp, and the 302 is about 205-225 (depending who's counting)

Old 11-22-2005, 12:25 PM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

K here's the questions you need to ask him:

What does he mean/why is there a 4cyl bellhousing on the trans? Any specific reason?

Has any major mechanical work ever been done on the car?

Add up the totals of what it might cost to fix the dent, paint the car and replace the starter, and use that to help negotiate a better price.

While your looking at it ask to check the some of the fluid levels ie: oil, look in the radiator check for calcium deposits and rust. You should be able to look over the engine and be able to tell how well he took care of it. And make sure you look under the engine look where the engine/transmission/driveshaft meet and check each connection for leaks.

And I dont know about the 93's but the starter solenoid is sometimes found on the fender well behind the coolant tank, which will sometimes stick open and keep cranking the engine. which is much cheaper to replace than the starter but make him think its the starter to save a few more dollars.

But otherwise if the car runs well on the test drive, it sounds like a solid foundation to start on. You just need to negotiate a fair price and youll be set!
Old 11-22-2005, 12:41 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

Is it fuel injected or Carb? (some folks go to carb on engine swap)
Which diff does it have?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Bigrick1103

Ok.. my mistake the guy told me its the original motor which is a v8, sry bout the confusion... umm im going to look at it this weekend and im bringing a mechanic to look over the car. how much is a starter usally to replace? thx rick
Old 11-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Bigrick1103

this is what he said about when i asked if there was anything else wrong with it
its a gt not a cobra starter works fine it just runs on a second after it starts like its sticking it makes a noise no fluid leaks that i know of clutch was put in this spring so its new and fine and i dont know what the vin is unless ur looking for the engine code thats an "e" carfax report is clean i ran it a couple months ago for fun and to make shure of the mileage the only other thing that needs attention is the front brakes need ceramic brakes cuz i put drilled and slotted rotors on and it needs a front end alignment it shakes a little around 60 not bad just a little driver seat has a small tear about the size of a penny theres other little things to make it perfect but nothing major like i broke the heater button but i have a new one just havent put it on i parked it for winter so i dont need it. if u need anything else let me know but its been very well taken care of by me oil was changeed with castrol syntec every 3000miles tranny and rear have synthetic fluids i washed it about every week kept it very clean im just tired of paying inshurance on it all winter and it sits all winter
should any of that be a big concern, or cost alot to fix? thx
Old 11-22-2005, 07:03 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

"no fluid leaks that i know of"

means it leaks a bit, but probably nothing to worry about.

"needs ceramic brakes cuz i pud drilled and slotted rotors on"

Yeah. No.

"needs a front end alignment it shakes a little around 60 not bad"

the shaking could be motor/tranny mounts, again not a terribly big deal

How much is he asking for it?
The starter issue could be either the starter and/or the solenoid
Old 11-22-2005, 11:59 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

starters are about $50 bucks and takes 10 minutes to replace....2 mounting bolts and harness bolt.

yeah '93 engine code is "e" for a reg 5.0 (non-gt40)

sounda all pretty reasonable........whats the price? and mileage?

Old 11-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Bigrick1103

Well the deal is im trading him my quad and 600 dollars for the car it has 75,000 miles on it
heres some pics:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-23-2005, 02:20 AM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

looks sweet man go for it!

Quick Reply: Buying a stang ... got some questions