General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

shorty vs LT headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 04:53 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

Default shorty vs LT headers

Can someone explain the difference between the 2 styles and which is better? I did a search but didn't find enough info. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: shorty vs LT headers

shorties are a direct replacement for the manifolds

long tubes have 4 tubes that runn to a collector under the car since there runner tubes are longer thats where you get the terms long tubes and shorties.

with long tubes your gonna get more hp and they are widely considered much better but they have there draw backs they must be removed when doing any tranny work.

if you do shorties go with a good brand i sugest bbk tuned shorties they are one of the few that give real results in hp.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:15 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Longtubes are a big pain in the butt too install. It took me HOURS to try to get them in. They sounded great though BTW, the were Mac LT's (1 5/8pri., 2 1/2 col.)
Old 11-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Hooker and Kooks longtube and Bassani mid-length headers are supposed to allow tranny removal.Bassani mid-lenths will allow tranny work because thats what I have and they don't interfere with the tranny at all.All headers are a PITA to install.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:42 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Yes, they are! But they are def. worth the frustration
Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Tim37

shorties are a direct replacement for the manifolds

long tubes have 4 tubes that runn to a collector under the car since there runner tubes are longer thats where you get the terms long tubes and shorties.

with long tubes your gonna get more hp and they are widely considered much better but they have there draw backs they must be removed when doing any tranny work.

if you do shorties go with a good brand i sugest bbk tuned shorties they are one of the few that give real results in hp.
don't forget that most Long tubes are not emissions legal since they don't have a spot for your 02 sensors. I don't know of any (well haven't looked) for CARB approved LTs. If emissions are important to you or your state is strict, this may not be an option.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:47 PM
wpaskar
2nd Gear Member

Why do the longer tubes make more horsepower?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

long tubes are better for scavaging exhaust gasses they will literaly pull exhuast out of the cyclinder to some degree. both valves are open at the same time for just a moment but it pulls in the fresh air fuel mixture and help get it moving in to the cyclinder.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:58 PM
moosedan
1st Gear Member

do you want to make lots of hp? get long. want just normal headers to replace the stock ones and get some hp? get shorty. simple. long headers give better sound too, but, i would only get them for strip cars. that's just me. otherwise, stick with the shorty.
of course it all depends on what you want out of your car. isn't that the answer to all the questions?[:@]

Old 12-01-2005, 12:25 AM
Mustang5.0_GT
3rd Gear Member

Lts are better if your making around 400+ HP

Quick Reply: shorty vs LT headers