General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Geofferson

Default Rear End

What would be a good street rear end to run with a 5.8L 5spd.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:47 PM
BlackSVTsnake302
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear End

Old 12-18-2005, 09:07 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Depends, what kind of car do you have and what kind of tires are you running?

If you're running wal-mart specials, you could go with a 7.25 and not break anything

If you plan on getting any sort of traction, go with either 8.8 or a 9. And i suggest an LSD or locker
Old 12-19-2005, 12:05 AM
downwardspiral
1st Gear Member

9" with 4.11's, limited slip and 31 spline axels. Someone is going to tell me I'm wrong, but I'm not. It will be bulletproof and relativly cheap. you just can't beat the 9". There is a reason chevy guys use it when they make serious power.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:38 AM
MCFAST
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: downwardspiral

9" with 4.11's, limited slip and 31 spline axels. Someone is going to tell me I'm wrong, but I'm not. It will be bulletproof and relativly cheap. you just can't beat the 9". There is a reason chevy guys use it when they make serious power.
+1
Old 12-19-2005, 04:22 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Are you running a classic car or a newer 80's or 90's stang? If you're running classic, definitely go for the 9", but if you're running an 80's or 90's the 8.8 will be more than enough to handle it. There's going to be no way you're going to break that running street tires or even drag radials.

And as for the 4.11s it really all depends on what size tire you have, what tranny you're running (3, 4, or 5sp) and what you're looking to use the car for.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Geofferson

Im running an 84 5.8 5spd. im gonna have 16" wheels in the back and 15" in the front. im gonna have show tires(Radial T/A) and im gonna be usin it to cruise with no major racing. what would be a good rear end for street and racing purposos.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:40 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

An 8.8 will do you fine
Old 12-20-2005, 12:16 PM
downwardspiral
1st Gear Member

Am I the only one that needs everything in excess? I always hear people saying the 8.8 should be fine.. can someone explain this to me? If you are changing the whole rear, shouldnt you go with the best? It just seems dumb to me to spend all that money for "good" when you can get something better for a few bucks more.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:07 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Because you can get an 8.8 rear end with disc brakes for somewhere around $300, maybe even less depending on who you buy it from, and it will bolt directly into your car, no modification needed whatsoever, you can buy a stock driveshaft, get all stock parts, very simple.
Why not get a 9"? For one, it weighs more, robs more power, probably has the same spline axles, and probably won't mount up using stock parts, and a new driveshaft will probably be needed. Brake lines may also be different sizes
Why not get a built 9"? You could get and install at least two stock 8.8s for a used piece, and running street tires, there's really no need for it on street tires or even drag radials.

The 8.8's a direct fit, more modern design, less lossy, weighs less, and only two tenths of an inch smaller than a 9"

If you use that logic, you'd end up with the ferarri of rear ends in no time (I could go for a stock used 8.8, but a new 8.8 is only $200 more, ooh, but a used 9" is the same price, but a used built 9" is only $200 more than that, but a new built 9" is only $200 more than that, but the 35 spline axles are only $200 more) Yeah i know i'm exaggerating and kinda went off on a tangent, sorry, but still not on slicks, you're not gonna break an 8.8 esp with a torque monster like the 5.8

Quick Reply: Rear End