General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Getting Frustrated over Fuses

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Crystal
2nd Gear Member

Default Getting Frustrated over Fuses

I am so frustrated over the electrial components of my car - it's an 97 V6 auto. Anything to do with lights is going wrong and I am getting sick and tired of it. First it was the blinkers and airbag light which had a lot to do with the multifunction switch and an incorrect fuse. Now it's the light where my gear shift is.

When I first got the car, the gear indicator and the stick didn't move uniformly. Somebody else fixed it and the light worked. It worked for a few days and now it's out. This is a fuse right? If so, where is it located?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Getting Frustrated over Fuses

in the fuse box where else? That's one thing I noticed about Mustangs, their lack of labeling the friggin fuse box for anything [:'(]

Since you're new to your car I would look at every fuse, one at a time and replace the bad ones as you come accross them. It could just be a nasty coincidence that your light burned out shortly after being fixed in the first place. It's going to be tedious but once you go through everything you will have a fresh start and can rule out fuses.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Crystal
2nd Gear Member

In the fuse box where else? Gee why didn't I think of that? Smart*ss. j/k [sm=kissykissy.gif] I wasn't sure if that was the cause or not. I think I am going to change every dang one of them so I know they are all good. At 1.99 each, I think it's worth it.

I am getting frustrated thinking I am finally done with fixing things and then something else goes wrong. Welcome to the world of cars?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:33 PM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

Just go to pep boys or autozone or any auto part store and buy a box of fuses, Usually alot cheaper than buying them each seperately. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Crystal
2nd Gear Member

Believe it or not, I had a box of them in my hands but wasn't sure which ones I needed.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:46 PM
white04gt
3rd Gear Member

They should be color coordinated. Just take a look in your fuse box and check out the numbers and colors. Worse Case scenario just ask one of the dumbasses behind the counter.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Crystal
2nd Gear Member

One dumbass asking another. That's good. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

bitter betty alert
Old 12-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Crystal

One dumbass asking another. That's good. Thanks.
lol...yeah be careful with asking the wrong person about something when you don't know yourself. [&:]

yes, welcome to the world of working on cars. When you finish something, there will always be something else. That's why for my wife, she's getting a new car every 3-4 years. I don't have to deal with repairing it or checking out every squeak or rattle. Warranty covers it.

Do the fuses, check the battery cables (and grounding straps), do the filters, and you should be good. Unless you know otherwise, replace each fuse with the same type (rating or color) of fuse as you pulled out. I would't recommend replacing them all, just checking them all. Replace any that look questionable.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I know you have a '97. I found one for a '94 don't know how big of a difference it is, but it's a start?

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl039g.htm

Quick Reply: Getting Frustrated over Fuses