General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

The legality of n2o.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:44 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Default The legality of n2o.

What is the status of the legality of n2o in california?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:02 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Default RE: The legality of n2o.

Nevermind the question, i could care less...if a mod could change the title to "2005 GT ZEX ?'s" or something along the lines.

So i get the 2005 GT kit and the racers tuning package? Will my fuel system be able to keep up? Ill be getting it dyno tuned after install.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:29 AM
Drugfranbs

damnit, i did all that researching on google for you and still no cigar. I myself have been wanting to know. Anyways, i'm pretty much a car noob.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:32 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Haha thanks for the effort, maybe we will get some answers.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:49 AM
Drugfranbs

ah, so you live in OC too. Thats pretty cool. Let me know if you find out about the NOS laws. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:58 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

in california it is illegal to have the bottle installed on the street.

but, you can "transport" your bottle, and for safety reasons...(hi pressure bottle w/ a valve failure is a small rocket) it needs to be mounted

so technically, if your on the street, your supposed to have the feed line disconnected.

if it's in your trunk, don't let a cop look in there. they need probable cause to check it or it's illegal search. there could be a dead hooker in there and you'd get off.

now, i just moved back to mi 6 months ago from cali, and it's possible these laws are not in effect yet, because NOS sells a CARB version of the 5115 kit. but if it's not in effect must be for '06 , thats what i read.

also only chp does smog violations, local po-po doesn't really have the jurisdiction or knowledge of it.

but...back to your q's

i never ran juice on a newer stang, just foxes.
but your car will support about 100-125 jets no probs.

as far as the "racers tuning package" goes i have no idea what that even is.

a foxbody needs no tune from nitrous installation, not sure of the issues w/ the new cars

Old 12-30-2005, 02:03 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

in california it is illegal to have the bottle installed on the street.

but, you can "transport" your bottle, and for safety reasons...(hi pressure bottle w/ a valve failure is a small rocket) it needs to be mounted

so technically, if your on the street, your supposed to have the feed line disconnected.

if it's in your trunk, don't let a cop look in there. they need probable cause to check it or it's illegal search. there could be a dead hooker in there and you'd get off.

now, i just moved back to mi 6 months ago from cali, and it's possible these laws are not in effect yet, because NOS sells a CARB version of the 5115 kit. but if it's not in effect must be for '06 , thats what i read.

also only chp does smog violations, local po-po doesn't really have the jurisdiction or knowledge of it.

but...back to your q's

i never ran juice on a newer stang, just foxes.
but your car will support about 100-125 jets no probs.

as far as the "racers tuning package" goes i have no idea what that even is.

a foxbody needs no tune from nitrous installation, not sure of the issues w/ the new cars

Thanks i only "plan" on using it at the track, but ti would be a bitch to remove the bottle all the time. Ill just disconnect the line.

The racers package includes...

ZEX Purge Kit
ZEX Bottle Pressure Gauge
ZEX Bottle Heater
ZEX Universal Safety Blow Down Kit

The blowdown kit is required by the tracks down here as a safety precaution.

So with my Xcal2 and stock fuel system i wont lean out with the 125?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:25 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

in ga its the same way u can have the bottle its just illegal for it to be hooked up!
Old 12-30-2005, 03:04 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

curious about NJ... whats the penalty for it?

Jim
Old 12-30-2005, 03:36 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Here's my input. You will probably not lean out with a 125 shot, doesn't the Zex kit for the newest Mustangs have the fuel control system also? If your fuel pressure runs low, it cuts the nitrous. Not sure if you got one of these kits, or one of the older ones like I have.

But at a 125 shot, I don't think running out of fuel is going to be the problem. Zex reccomends cutting your timing back 4 degrees (I THINK - I haven't looked at my manual in a while because I am staying at a 75 shot). With a 125 shot you're pushing the limits of your engine internals... and that's just a gamble that I am not willing to take, but if you think it is safe, go for it. A 100 shot is better, and 75 shot is very safe.

The only thing that I could think of with the nitrous system in California is emissions problems. I remember something about the kit not being emissions legal in a few states... I'm not positive on this either, just going by memory.

Also, you probably should not use your x-cal tune with the nitrous, remove it, and just use the x-cal to cut the timing back for whatever shot you decide to use. It's always safer to go back an extra degree or two but you will be making less power. Follow Zex's instructions on the kit, they designed it, and haven't changed it much over the years it seems, so it's very likely been extensively tested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The legality of n2o.