General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help - my convertible is leaking in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:52 PM
MarkB

Default Help - my convertible is leaking in the rain

Hi everyone.. I have a 2002 convertible with the cloth top (I don't know if there are other types). Recently during the rains I noticed about an inch of water in the leather bag-like area behind the rear seat (where the top folds down into). I have also noticed the trunk carpet is soaking wet.. I don't know if that is a separate problem or not.

The top is in fine shape and I see nothing obvious when I look around inside. I was getting ready to take it to the dealer and cringing at the thought of $1000 to fix what might be something simple when a guy mentioned he heard there are drainage holes that get plugged sometimes and need to be cleaned out. I can't find anything in the manual about it so I thought I would try online.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:06 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Help - my convertible is leaking in the rain

usually the seals that meet the windows and windshield are what goes bad. still not cheap unless you do it yourself.

you may need to just drive through a carwash....since it's wet already...and see where it leaks
Old 01-04-2006, 07:10 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

its hard to say what that is, in the sn95's there really isnt a seal around the backwindow but its like a rain gutter that goes around the trunk, maybe for some reason its not catching all the water and its runs down the back part of the top right into your trunk. other then that im not really sure my guess would be take it to an aphoelstry shop that does converts and ask them. i just got a new top this year and you want to avoid that if possible its quite expensive
Old 01-05-2006, 01:04 PM
DeMiSe99Stang

I'm getting some water in my trunk too, its a 99 coupe. I haven't been able to pinpoint the problem... mainly because i haven't had time to find it. But i noticed it when I went to change my shocks, I pulled out the spare and everything down there was sitting in a puddle of water =/
Old 01-07-2006, 05:05 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

in a coupe if your getting water in your trunk its most likely just weather stripping around the trunk
Old 01-08-2006, 12:46 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

i had a problem with that too. i had a hole where the 1/4 window and the top came together. i guess it had just moved over time. you could stnad on the outside and look in it and see the leather well liner. i dont know the best way to say to fix it, bc we replaced my top anyways. but i would go to an upholstery shop and see what they say.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:10 PM
MarkB

I went out over the weekend with a hose and did some research. It looks like the leak is coming from the back rear corner where the top meets the metal body. There is a rubber gasket that goes most of the way around and then seems to stop and be replaced by the cloth. I think the leak is right where they meet.

Is there any problem with just getting some silicone glue (i.e. aquarium sealer) and puitting a dollop on it?

Mark
Old 12-23-2006, 12:52 PM
the_peaceman

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as MarkB on my 2000 Mustang. Whenever it rains, there are two small streams of water coming in to the leather well behind the back seat. They seem to come from the far back corner on each side. Ther is also a lot of water inside my trunk. Is there a fix for this or doI have to have the dealer fix the problem?

// Tom
Old 12-23-2006, 01:14 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Does the vert have drains built in? My RX-7 vert has the little hoses and every now and then they need to be cleaned of debris. That may be a cause of the problem.

Ryan
Old 12-23-2006, 02:08 PM
the_peaceman

I have no idea, just bought the car 2 weeks ago. Was hpoing that someone in this forum had solved the problem before and could tell me if there are some ports that I should clean regularly.I am a little reluctant to just siliconening it, since i fugred that Ford already has come clever solution. I will look for drainage tubes this afternoon an see what I can find.

// Tom

Quick Reply: Help - my convertible is leaking in the rain