General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

gears/shifter/clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:31 AM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

Default gears/shifter/clutch

I'm about to start modding my '05 v6 and was wondering what advantages/disadvantages there would be with going to a 6-speed transmition (manual). My major concern is that 5th gear is gutless and I don't want to constantly hold 4th or shift down to it everytime I want power when I'm going over 150 km/h. Also if I wanted to put in a short-throw shifter is there any way that I could keep the length of the shifter the same (to conserve the stock look) or would I just be defeating the point of a short-throw shifter? On a related note has anyone found that you sometimes grind gears when shifting near the redline and would a sports clutch help me out or do I just need more practice with my stock setup?

Thnx.

~orion6g
Old 01-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: gears/shifter/clutch

Well, a six-speed AND a change in rear end ratio would make a good change, then. This would allow you to select gear ratios so that fifth would not be "gutless."
Old 01-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

the only problem is if you go with a t56 and 410's then 6th is gonna be about where 5 is now. your just gonna end up in thet same place.

as far as shifter goes most after market shifters are about the same hieght they just change the piviot point on the shifter to change the throw. just form looks in my car you would never guess that i had a shifter in it.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:40 PM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

when you say "rear end ratio" are you just talking about normal gears or something diffferent?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:42 PM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

Are you just talking about the same power in 6th gear or the same speeds? I always thought that having 6 gears would allow your car to go faster while giving you better fuel econonmy?
Old 01-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

most t56's just add on a extra gear after 5th (a littel more to it than that but i don't feel like going in to gear ratios) the problem with that is you will need to be doign about 80 befor hitting 6th gear. the solution is to put more gear in the rear of the car that will lower it so that 6th is now closer towhere 5th is stock.

unless you want to try to go 200 mph.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:52 AM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

I think I'll probably go with the T-56 and put a more agressive 5th gearf in as I almost never drive under 80mph on the highway (130 kmph here in Canada). Now I just have to figure out how reduce the air drag as much as possible (feeling body vibration at 170 kmph, 105 mph, is very uncool). Thnx. for the help Tim.

~orion6g