General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:55 PM
texasfight0210

Default Clutch Bypass

I want to hook up a remote start alarm on my 92 mustang. everyone i ask to install it wont bypass the clutch. can you tell me how to do it?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:21 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch Bypass

I'v always been told you couldn't use a remote start on a manual trans. You might have to dig really good on this one. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:43 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

You're going to have to do the install yourself. No one who wants to keep their professional reputation is going to install a remote start on a manual car. I will laugh the day I hear of a guy who used his remote starter to start his car which he left in gear.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:45 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i'mnot sure what the switch looks like on the top of the clutch pedal....but it should be a simple switch.

anyways...you basically will just have to run the "out" back to the "in"...so it makes a complete circuit.

it should be pretty easy to tell if you look at it.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:21 PM
MCFAST
1st Gear Member

I had 3 cars with remote start on a manual trans, we did not bypass the clutch, just buy a remote for manuals
Old 01-19-2006, 10:23 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

MCFAST, how long ago was that? What kind of cars? Basically every car made since like... 1986 (probably earlier) have had a switch to stop you from starting it without engaging the clutch.

Check near the place where the pedals bolt on to the firewall (on both sides of the firewall). I think i remember seeing a switch there on used pedal assemblies.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:48 AM
jay_dubb2k5
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: waxyourboard

MCFAST, how long ago was that? What kind of cars? Basically every car made since like... 1986 (probably earlier) have had a switch to stop you from starting it without engaging the clutch.

Check near the place where the pedals bolt on to the firewall (on both sides of the firewall). I think i remember seeing a switch there on used pedal assemblies.

there is a kit for that manual tranny. don't know how but it works with out doing anything to the switch
Old 01-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

there are kits that the still buypass the clutch switch. they put a sensor on the ****er if the car isn't in neutral then it won't start.

simple bypass like bob said find the switch on the clutch pedel unplug it and then make a jumper wire it should be bypassed at that poing
Old 01-20-2006, 02:48 PM
MCFAST
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: waxyourboard

1989 SHO, 1993 SHO, 1999 Contour SVT, all had 5 speeds with a switch on the clutch and never bypassed the clutch switch, the first two I did my self and the SVT at a shop last year.
Like I said get the kit for 5 speeds it is so easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:30 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Shweet. My '67 didn't have a bypass... one day the ignition coils fell off, and i didn't realize until i had already rolled out of my parking space and down the road. So i just cranked her in using the starter. (Yeah, it's terrific for the engine i know)

Quick Reply: Clutch Bypass