General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Instrument cluster relay short?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:44 PM
jnorwood32

Default Instrument cluster relay short?

Hey guys, I have an '83 GT convertible. My recent problem is a short somewhere in the intstrument cluster and I need some input from someone who is familiar with the wiring. Here's what's happening. Intermitantly when I turn on the headlights, the instrument cluster does EXACTLY the opposite of what it's supposed to do. The cluster lights are off, the hi beam indicator is on when the lights are actually on dim, the turn signal indicators are always on except when it turn on the blinker on, and the door ajar buzzer remains on. I have a feeling it's a relay that is stuck and from time to time I could band on the top of the dash and it would return to normal. But I think I have wore out that method cause it won't work now. When the short is happening, like I said everything happens in reverse. The headlights are on dim but the indicator for high beams is on. When I switch to high beams, the light go to high and the indicator goes off. When the turn signals are off the indicators are both on. But if I turn on a signal, when the blinker outside lights up, the proper indicator light turns off. Any clues? Like I said I think it's a relay that is stuck but I'm not sure and would like some help. If you think you know, let me know and let me know where exactly the relay is. At first I thought it was the headlight switch (pull kind) so I replaced it. That didn't remedy the situation. Let me know and I appreciate your help in advance.

-Jon