General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Smoking

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:11 PM
stargazer_61

Default Smoking

Hello All!

New member here.

My wife's '96 GT SOHC is having a hard time starting after sitting for a couple of days. White smoke pours out until it warms up, more from passenger side exhaust than driver side. This smoke does not smell like coolant nor oil, if that means anything. It has been cold here in NC, 20's at night & 40's during the day.

Symptom: Starter engages, engine turns slightly, then bogs down and doesn't turn. Hold the key in start position and it will eventually crank over. No racket from the rockers. No coolant in the oil that I can see, from either the oil filler cap nor the dipstick. In dash pressure gauge looks okay. Replaced the oil filter/cooler bracket-to-engine-block gasket about two months ago, as it was streaming oil upon startup, when the engine was cold. That problem was remedied.

This car did not have the intake manifold replaced.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:58 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Smoking

From the way it cranks, it sounds like the battery is weak. Not sure about the white smoke though. That usually indicates coolant in the exhaust. There are chemicals that detect hc's in the coolant, you should take it and have it checked. Does it run rough on start up and then clear up w/ the smoke. If so, you have a serious issue at hand. Like I said, have it checked out.

Good luck!!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:10 PM
stargazer_61

Thanks for the reply. I will take it for the hc check in the coolant. Yes, it runs a bit rough until the smoke clears. It this a head gasket?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:18 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: stargazer_61

Thanks for the reply. I will take it for the hc check in the coolant. Yes, it runs a bit rough until the smoke clears. It this a head gasket?
Most likely so. Are you keeping tabs on the coolant level? How many miles are on it?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:34 PM
stargazer_61

I was afraid you would say that. It has a slight coolant leak right now at the lower hose, so I cannot say for sure if any more is being lost through the exhaust. It has 128,179 on the clock. The heat blows hot and as far as I can tell there is no bubbling back into the coolant resevoir tank, temp looks normal. I had another car blow HG's before, and the heater would always blow cold, with coolant boiling in the tank, temp gauge would peg.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:39 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: stargazer_61

I was afraid you would say that. It has a slight coolant leak right now at the lower hose, so I cannot say for sure if any more is being lost through the exhaust. It has 128,179 on the clock. The heat blows hot and as far as I can tell there is no bubbling back into the coolant resevoir tank, temp looks normal. I had another car blow HG's before, and the heater would always blow cold, with coolant boiling in the tank, temp gauge would peg.
It's most likely in the very early stages. It's a very small leak. As the engine warms, the gap is sealed from the parts expanding and it goes away. It will only get worse. You could also take out the plugs and look at and smell them. I garrantee you'll see/smell coolant.

Good luck!!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:48 PM
stargazer_61

Thanks for your help and advice!
Old 02-13-2006, 11:37 PM
flushman

Check the valve seals on it. I have a truck that smoked until it warmed up I got the head rebuilt and it quit smoking. Machine shop said the valve seals were shot!! know that the white smoke could be because of the rings not seated properly or they are worn out. Replace you hose if its leaking. If oil isnt milky and you cant see any signs of the coolant leaking from the head gasket its most likely your valve seals, guides, or the piston rings either way you are going to end up replacing the head gasket.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:29 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: flushman

Check the valve seals on it. I have a truck that smoked until it warmed up I got the head rebuilt and it quit smoking. Machine shop said the valve seals were shot!! know that the white smoke could be because of the rings not seated properly or they are worn out. Replace you hose if its leaking. If oil isnt milky and you cant see any signs of the coolant leaking from the head gasket its most likely your valve seals, guides, or the piston rings either way you are going to end up replacing the head gasket.
Your info is incorrect. Completely!!![sm=chairshot.gif]

White smoke = coolant burning
Blue smoke = oil burning!!!
Old 02-14-2006, 02:07 PM
flushman

UHHHHHHH ok.

You have it backwards.

Blue smoke is coolant, your exhaust may also smell like maple syrup. Because of COOLANT getting into the exhaust. Oil will not smell like maple syrup. (Head Gasket or head is cracked)

White smoke is oil getting into the exhaust part of the engine and burning off. Which could be cause by valve seals, guides, rings installed improperly or they are worn out.

Black Smoke is your car is running rich and you need to adjust the air/fuel mixture.

Please DO NOT work on your car you only going to screw it up further. Have a certified mechanic work on it! If you are a mechanic please please please quit your job and go work in a book store to read up some more.

If this is the way it is for every other car I cant imagine why mustangs would be different.

Quick Reply: Smoking