Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My first performance mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

Default My first performance mod

I just installed the C&L CAI today, and used the low octane tune on the Diablosport Predator.
In case you're wondering, I went with the low octane tune because I couldn't wait until I had re-filled the tank with premium to install it.
I plan on doing a couple of 91 octane fillups, and then going ahead with the high octane tune.
I can already feel a difference, notably that my RPM's are about 300 lower at city speed.

Next on this list is a custom plenum cover.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:08 PM
R3troGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: My first performance mod

Congrats. I had mine installed on Wednesday with a dyno tune for 94 octane. I already had the MAC Performance axel back exhaust on the car. It added 23 HP and 20 lb/ft torque at teh wheels. Very nice pull now when I hit the gas
Old 03-03-2006, 07:40 PM
talios
1st Gear Member

Ehhhhh...are you meaning that your cruising in a higher gear because you have more power now.......?
[sm=dontgetit.gif]
ORIGINAL: Humboldt Stang

I can already feel a difference, notably that my RPM's are about 300 lower at city speed.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:49 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: talios

Ehhhhh...are you meaning that your cruising in a higher gear because you have more power now.......?
[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Yea, made me scratch my head too. The only way to change rpm's at a particular speed is a rear end gear change or different tranny gears. Hmmmm.......
Old 03-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

Don't know the technical stuff, but was pushing 3000 at 45 mph in 3rd gear......now only push about 2700.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:23 PM
talios
1st Gear Member

Well our point is just that without changing the gears in your tranny, your rear-end, or the size of your tires and rims there is no way to effect your rpm's in a given gear at a given speed.

On another note, the setup looks nice! [sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 03-03-2006, 10:33 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Yea, made me scratch my head too. The only way to change rpm's at a particular speed is a rear end gear change or different tranny gears. Hmmmm.......

That may be just what happened by accident. If one puts in a taller gear ratio for the rear, the electronics will make the tach read slow as well as the speedo... Just a thought.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:59 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

ORIGINAL: talios

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

if its an auto it could just be that the torque convertor isnt spinning as much
Old 03-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

I think I have the answer.
Maybe there is no difference, and I just thought the rpm's were lower.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Actually, the cars have electronic lock-up torque converter. The tune most likely just changed the requirements for the TC to go into lock up, which lowers your RPMs at a given speed. The same thing happened on the suburban we use to tow around cars when we put it into economy mode with a tuner.

Quick Reply: My first performance mod