Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

battery drain problem

Old 03-05-2006, 10:43 PM
jsgst8

Default battery drain problem

Hey everyone, i have an 06 GT with 900 miles on it. The car has been in the garage for the winter but i have been starting it every week or 2 since it has been put away. It has always started fine up until a month or so ago. A week to 10 days went by and i tried to start it....DEAD...i put the charger on it and started it up, ran it for awhile to recharge. another 5 days went past and i tried to start it again and nothin. Again i put charger on it. now i have been starting it every 3 days but tried to start it today and it wouldnt(just was started 2 days ago). i charged it and took it to get my battery checked and it came out fine.

Could my aftermarket radio be causing this problem? i have a simple head unit, sub amp install. Its just weird that the first part of winter it would go 2 weeks without starting and start right up, now its only 2-3 days before its dead. I verified amp shuts off when car turns off and i make sure to turn the stereo completely off before i turn it of.

Can someone please give me some feedback on this problem and if the radio could be the culprit...thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2006, 11:36 PM
gregt909
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: battery drain problem

The stereo will likely draw a small amount of current keeping the memory. They are usually connected to a non switched power source to keep the memory going as well as a switch source to power it. It would be unlikely it could draw a battery down in a few days. The amp also requires a non switched power source as well as a switched power source but it shouldn't be drawing anything if the switch is off. Your alarm will also draw a small amount of power as well but again it shouldn't draw it down that quick. If your amps in question try disconnecting the non switched portion and give it a week or so to see if your battery drains down. If you amp was installed correctly you can simply remove the fuse at the battery.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:13 AM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

[:@]This problem is afflicting several forum members here including myself ('06 GT). I had to put a charger on mine today when the battery went stone dead after 10 days. This has happened to me three times. The dealer says there is nothing in the database referencing this issue (does that really shock anyone?)

I suspect the Shaker Stereo. When I put my charger on the battery terminals, the CD changer began cycling on it's own as if it was tring to load a disc. I had to press the power **** repeatedly to get it to stop. The car is in my Mother's garage so I have not had an opportunity to take it to a dealer. Funny thing is that if it sits for 5-6 days, it starts right up!

I see a TSB coming but wish the dealers would begin coming clean on it. This is not the "Ford" way, however. You will get that deer in the headlights look from your dealer like you are the only person to have the issue. They will keep it overnight and tell you it's fine.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:25 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=41156

It's fairly common
Old 03-06-2006, 09:49 AM
jsgst8

would an optima battery solve this problem or does this battery cause other problems itself?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Scott P
2nd Gear Member

Why are you running the engine? How long do you leave it running? If it doesn't get up to operating temperature, you culd be leaving condensation in the oil.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

My Saleen has been stored all winter, and I have started it/gotten it out for a few hours now 3 times since November and it starts right up every time. And I lock it and arm the factory alarm.

I've had aftermarket stereo systems in my other cars that I stored away for the winter and never had much of a problem.

I'm with Scott on this. If you are only starting it up to keep the batter charged (not good to start for only a few minutes), then I suggest you pull the battery and store it somewhere that is heated. Repeated draining and charging isn't good in the long run.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:56 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

No. In all cases I drive the car for several miles and the engine is well within it's operating range. I have stored MANY cars and not started them for weeks and have never experienced the battery drain I am seeing with this GT. Either the batteries are junk or there is a significant current draw when the thing is sitting. Take a look at the link provided by hawgman and you will get the idea. Putting a battery charger on it just to keep the battery from going dead in a week to ten days is B.S.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:56 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

BTW - not sure if it is a feature of the Shakers and other electronics - but I pulled my battery last week when I installed my sub, and had it out for about 1-2 hours. When I reinstalled everything was still in tact...radio settings, stations, mileage until empty on the computer, etc... So maybe those are stored in a non-volitile memory chip somewhere else. If thats the case then I wouldn't hesitate to disconnect the battery during storage.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:30 PM
jsgst8

when i start the car, i let it run for at least 2-25 minutes, i watch the temp gauge to make sure it is nice and warm. i may back it out of the garage and things like that. I am just trying to eliminate the stero equipment as a possible source of the problem. I too find it hard to believe it would be the radio. i have had this same setup in 3 different cars including a 91gt and never had this problem/

i have an appointment at my ford dealer on wednesday so they can check it out. i am just hoping they wont say its my stereo because i honestly believe it is not

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: battery drain problem