Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

C&L intake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:50 PM
05gtrules
1st Gear Member

Default C&L intake question

I am looking to get a C&L intake system, and there are 2 I'm considering... both are on this page, the MAF system and the "Racer" system The Racer difference is lighter weight because of plastic inlet and thinner cnc, so no mounting bracket. The price difference is only $15, and report the same HP increase... Is anyone familiar with these and have a recommendation on one or the other? Thanks...

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gtcnltf.htm
Old 03-08-2006, 06:55 PM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: C&L intake question

I use the regular cast C&L I like it better becaust it matches the throttle body, and just looks nicer. If a few pounds is a big issue go with the racer, but if not the quality of the origional is top notch!

Old 03-08-2006, 07:04 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

that looks just like the pic i took a long times ago

http://andyman82.com/files/intake.JPG
Old 03-08-2006, 07:53 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtrules

I am looking to get a C&L intake system, and there are 2 I'm considering... both are on this page, the MAF system and the "Racer" system The Racer difference is lighter weight because of plastic inlet and thinner cnc, so no mounting bracket. The price difference is only $15, and report the same HP increase... Is anyone familiar with these and have a recommendation on one or the other? Thanks...

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gtcnltf.htm

i have the aluminum tube...i decided against the plastic one because i have heard under certain heat conditions they can warp. from what i've read, it's not common, but i'd rather be safe than sorry. also, i can't imagine you're shaving off more than a few pounds...if you're a serious serious racer, maybe go with the plastic, but just know that it can warp.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andyman

Close, but no cigar! Aside from the rag in the corner on your shot Andy, focused shot his from a slightly lower angle...you can see the top bolts on the pulley while in yours you see the bottom two. I used to be a graphic design major--sick aren't I. [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Anywho, I'm surprised that the "Racer" Intake, with its larger inlet isn't good for a few more ponies w/the right tune. If that's not the case, then go with the cast...unless you plan on a custom paint scheme! Just a thought.

Best,
-j

Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

I asked Brent from Brenspeed what the difference was, and he said the plastic one actually produces about 5rwhp less for whatever reason.

"The racer makes about 5 less HP on a stock type car. It also wont have as great of throttle response at part throttle. It is still way better than stock, but not as good as the street."

From his email he sent me.

I'm sure thats taking into acount that both are tuned by him, but its still not as good.

Thats all I got.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:14 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Philostang

ORIGINAL: andyman

Close, but no cigar! Aside from the rag in the corner on your shot Andy, focused shot his from a slightly lower angle...you can see the top bolts on the pulley while in yours you see the bottom two. I used to be a graphic design major--sick aren't I. [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Anywho, I'm surprised that the "Racer" Intake, with its larger inlet isn't good for a few more ponies w/the right tune. If that's not the case, then go with the cast...unless you plan on a custom paint scheme! Just a thought.

Best,
-j

beleive me i noticed every single difference there could possible be
Old 03-08-2006, 10:50 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: BlackB-U-TEE_06

i have the aluminum tube...i decided against the plastic one because i have heard under certain heat conditions they can warp. from what i've read, it's not common, but i'd rather be safe than sorry.
Where have you read that at? Link? I would be interested to see it. Only CAI I have heard anything about warping was the first "generation" of JLTs for the 05s.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:11 AM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

ORIGINAL: BlackB-U-TEE_06

i have the aluminum tube...i decided against the plastic one because i have heard under certain heat conditions they can warp. from what i've read, it's not common, but i'd rather be safe than sorry.
Where have you read that at? Link? I would be interested to see it. Only CAI I have heard anything about warping was the first "generation" of JLTs for the 05s.
i honestly don't remember where i've read that, but i know i've read it more than once. if i come across any articles i'll post them for sure.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:50 PM
05gtrules
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the input, I'll go with the aluminum... On www.rpmoutlet.com, the C&L MAF system with predator tuner and pc kit is $599, free shipping... best deal I've been able to find yet!! any know a better deal before i hit the add to cart button?

Quick Reply: C&L intake question