Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sloppy throttle response?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 07:04 PM
solutionsix

Default Sloppy throttle response?

Just started getting a few miles on the mustang and I have noticed that the throttle response (I'm sure due to the drive by wire system) is less than snappy at times. I was wondering if theres any cure for some of the sloppy throttle response like any of the tuner programs out there? One of the more annoying things I've noticed on this is the fact that the car takes so long to put a load on the engine after I let off the throttle. I'm guessing they did this so it makes upshifts smoother but... I like to keep the car in 3rd when I'm just cruising around town and it just feels very odd when I let off the pedal at 3000rpm and it just coasts like an automatic... when I'm surely driving a manual I noticed that a good 5 seconds or so after I let up on the throttle, the car will then begin to slow down and give some resistance from the engine winding down... this is totally tolerable, just feels very odd in comparison to any other manual transmission car I have owned.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:37 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Sloppy throttle response?

YES! I have noticed the same thing, and its kind of annoying...

Very interested to see if anyone's got any ideas about this!

-HypromanGT
Old 03-12-2006, 09:22 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

There are multiple posts about this subject, it is very common. From what I've read from others, some of it can be tuned out with the Predator or SCT tuners and the first level fix is a very simple procedure that you may have to repeat 2-3 times. From memeory, it is something like this:

1: Put the key in the ignition, don't start it but turn it to the "ON" position (not ACC).
2: Push the pedal to the floor gradually. Not slow and don't stomp it (about 2 seconds to floor).
3: As soon as you get to the floor, let off it.
4: Turn the key to the ignition off.
5: Start and drive the car.

This same type of procedure has been recommended for other cars with drive by wire too. I have an 06 GT Automatic and it was terrible before doing this. It still isn't great but a noticeable difference. -Joe
Old 03-12-2006, 09:22 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

my v6 is just the same, it pees me off!. i want a cable throtle
Old 03-12-2006, 11:46 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

My diablo tunes seemed to help a lot and when I had a custom dyno tune done it is not there anymore. it responds instantly. It did not eliminate the downshift situation with the rpm's staying up, but I like that when upshifting at a hard load.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:59 AM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

I got a SCT Dyno Tune and it removed most of the Lag, I purchased a Billit 62mm Throttle Body and it got rid of the rest of the lag

the purpose of the "throttle delay" is to avoid clunk. Removing tip-in rate limiting will now cause you to have clunks on rapid pedal tip-in's. Tip-in rate limiting is not a "delay in response" but a limit in the rate at which the throttle is opened. Also, if your car is an automatic, the vast majority of your "throttle delay" complaints will actually be transmission induced as a result of hydraulic delays and shift scheduling. Removing tip-in rate limiting will not help those complaints, and they should be flagged as "transmission delays", not "throttle delays".

Finally, all spark-ignited engines with a finite intake manifold volume will have a delay between when the throttle plate moves and when the engine starts to increase torque output. This is because the intake manifold takes a certain amount of time to fill with the incoming air. The bigger the intake manifold, the bigger the delay.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

swieduwi...

WELL PUT...

Thanks.

Yes.... loading tune will help the throttle delay a LOT.

Resetting the "stepper" doing the iginition thing will help too - however it doesn't last, causing you to redo it after a while.