Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

are strut tower braces really helpful?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 03:49 PM
bcc333
1st Gear Member

Default are strut tower braces really helpful?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...=&catkey=74-01

Edelbrock Strut Tower Brace for 2005-2006 Mustang.

considering this, and only this, suspension improvement $120.00, do you think it will make a noticeable difference in handling?

how would you describe that "difference"?

under what conditions would it be noticed?

Thanks, i appreciate your help!
Old 04-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: are strut tower braces really helpful?

Now that kind of irks me. Edlebrock should know better than to come out with this design. One of the unique features of the new Mustangs is that this is the first year the firewall is not a major structural component--so what's the frippin' point of triangulating the strut towers with it? Showy. Ish.

On a positive note, strut tower braces do add to the rigidity of the suspension--how much is another story. Some on this Forum have doubted the benefits--figuring the lower control arm brace is a better place for reinforcement. I'm no expert, so I don't want to disagree or dispute this view (and it's noteworthy that the new Shelby GT 500s come with a lower control arm brace--so maybe Ford knows something). However, I don't think the tower brace can do much harm (bit of added weight, high up) and usually they look great.

If you do notice an improvement, my guess is that it is only during hard driving (read: handling at the track). Maybe you might notice a difference if you are regularly encountering major pot-holes, bad streets, etc. Maybe. I'd love to hear from folks who have them and drive in these conditions.

Bottom line, don't get a "triangulated" brace for this generation of Mustang, the lower arm brace should be a higher priority, and if you get one, don't expect miracles.
Best,
-j
Old 04-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

Im wondering if anyone knows who makes a brace that clears a roush supercharger. It is close to stock height, but Im not going to buy a brace unless I know it will fit.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:15 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I bought the plenum cover and the Steeda tower brace and it doesn't fit over it.. [:@] rats..
Old 04-09-2006, 08:31 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

To be honest, I bought the Steeda billet tower brace more for the looks than for any handling improvements. I don't really drive the car so hard that it would need the suspension upgraded in terms of its ability to take turns well, I don't autocross. The only other thing I bought was the Steeda billet rear trailing arms, but that's just to see if they help with wheel hop when I go to the track.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:46 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bcc333

considering this, and only this, suspension improvement $120.00, do you think it will make a noticeable difference in handling?

how would you describe that "difference"?

under what conditions would it be noticed?

Thanks, i appreciate your help!
Will it be noticed? Only way you are going to notice any difference is if you do autocross. If you drive your car in a manor that justifies having a strut tower brace, you will notice it and it is useful. If you do not drive your car in a manor that justifies having a strut tower brace, it is merely cosmetic at that point.

ORIGINAL: Philostang

Now that kind of irks me. Edlebrock should know better than to come out with this design. One of the unique features of the new Mustangs is that this is the first year the firewall is not a major structural component--so what's the frippin' point of triangulating the strut towers with it?
BMR did the same thing with their strut tower brace. It is either a 3 point or 4 point. Don't remember without actually going to the web site and looking at it.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:40 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: W1ldcat

I bought the plenum cover and the Steeda tower brace and it doesn't fit over it.. [:@] rats..
did you get the billet steeda brace or the steel two bar brace? I have the steeda billet and it fits over the plenum cover.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:36 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I got the cheaper 2 bar one. Weird thing is, in the owners pics where I bought it there is one in there with the one I bought. I can't figure that one out. I looked at the pic again to make sure too. There is only one way to install in and it can't be shimed up.. I'm lost on that one. Bummer too...
Old 04-10-2006, 09:52 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: W1ldcat

I got the cheaper 2 bar one. Weird thing is, in the owners pics where I bought it there is one in there with the one I bought. I can't figure that one out. I looked at the pic again to make sure too. There is only one way to install in and it can't be shimed up.. I'm lost on that one. Bummer too...
How much you want for it?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:47 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I'm returning it to where I bought it from by my house for credit twards the billet one..

Quick Reply: are strut tower braces really helpful?