Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:40 PM
8CYLPOWER
1st Gear Member

Default Exhuast

Hey everyone I am new to the mustang fourms this is only my second post...I just picked up my 2006 Mineral gray mustang GT...I have been reading around about this different exhaust systems and I just dont know which to go with..I see a lot of you have borla...I am looking for a loud but not too loud of an exhaust...I dont want any drone....If any one has suggestions i would appreciate it thanks
Old 05-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhuast

Borla's sound the most like american muscle at it's finest, I wouldn't call it too loud at all. Stay away from SLP loudmouths if you feel like that. I'd get some myself, but think it'd be too loud with the rest of my exhaust mods.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:13 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

I dont want to "steal" the post but I just want to varify something. When talking about exhaust, "axle-back" is refering to after the pipes right? As in after H pipes itself? So a full exhaust setup would include a new set of pipes (X or H) then your axle-back system that includes the cats and mufflers? Sometimes I get confused on which part of the system people are talking about.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:17 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Axle-back is exactly that. The mufflers are located behind the rear axle. An axle-back system is literally nothing more than a muffler swap.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
linernotejunky
2nd Gear Member

its all about borla. i have the axle back system and love it.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:52 PM
01RobGT
1st Gear Member

I got the Flowmaster axle back and they sound pretty decent. I need it to be a little louder though. I did have slp loudmouth on my 01 and that was rediculously loud for cat back. Id probably go with the borla or magnaflow exhuast if you want in between, cat back that is.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:51 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: linernotejunky

its all about borla. i have the axle back system and love it.
I would agree with that 100% I recently installed the Borla Stinger Axle backs and they sound fantastic. I have been running Borla since about 1988 on all my F-150's so I already knew i would be getting the Borla. The Stingers are much louder than the normal Borla oval mufflers but dam they sound good. I would however suggest getting the Cat Back setup that includes new midpipes. After installing my mufflers and seeing a few of the factory crimps and bends in the pipes I wish i had gotten the full system.

Richard
Old 05-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Go with the Borla stingers. Awesome!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:10 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I have the Borla Cat-back kit. It went on easy, I am extremely satisfied.

That being said, if I had to do it again I would just buy the axleback. The ONLY problem with the factory over-axle tubes is one single crimp on the passenger-side tube. It would be far less expensive to cut out the "crimp" and weld in a "clean" section of pipe than it would be to buy the full cat-back system as opposed to the axle-back. You might want to take that with a grain of salt, as I have all my own welding gear and a well-equipped shop...but that's my thoughts on the subject.

But whichever ones you choose, the Borlas sound great.

Drone won't be a problem if you are sticking with your stock cats. If you change your cats (such as by installing an "off road H-pipe" or high-flow cats) then plan on taking measures to deal with the drone.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:58 PM
linernotejunky
2nd Gear Member

i've been ticketed for excessive noise in the past, so i have the more mellow borlas, but they're deep and beautiful - a great reaction from people.

Quick Reply: Exhuast