Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gas Gauge Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:13 PM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

Default Gas Gauge Issue

So this morning I had something very strange happen with my gas gauge. When I started her up this morning, it read 94 miles to empty and had about 1/4 tank left. I drove to the end of the block, about 200 ft., then all of a sudden it dropped to full empty and the thing read 16 miles to empty. I wasn't pushing it or anything either. I went immediately to the station and filled it up and it only took 10.5 gallons. I forgot to check what the fuel used thing said before I filled it up to so I don't knwo if that flipped out or somethign either. What is going on here and do I need to take it in to get this fixed? Bad sensor or something? It appears to be working fine right now after the fill up though.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:26 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Gauge Issue

I just had this same problem - went from 1/4 tank to empty and said 0 miles to empty.... I filled up and it took almost 11 gallons. Strange....
Old 05-04-2006, 03:29 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Were you parked on an incline or decline? It could of confused your gauge.

~Fred
Old 05-04-2006, 04:58 PM
GtStangFGCU

i have the same problem
Old 05-04-2006, 05:58 PM
dave186

i had a similar problem after going through some twisties pretty fast. had about half a tank then all of a sudden the low fuel thing popped up. i was cruising along then it came back up. i figured it had to do with the way the fuel tank is set up. it looks like it has two sides if that makes sense. do you guys know what im talking about?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:02 PM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

Nope I park out front of my house on the street and its perfectly level, no incline or anything. Seems interesting that this has happened to more than just me, maybe a developing problem.........
Old 05-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Psycho79
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem, I talked to the dealership about it(when I was getting my free oil change) and according to them it just randomly happens sometimes when your near 1/4 of a tank or below, but I haven't had that happen any since then and that was back in March.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Yup, just happened to me the other day. I remember it saying 40 something to empty. Then later I went to go get gas in the next state over because its cheaper, not far, and g/f lives there. So as I hop on the Expressway I hear the beep and 0 miles to empty!
I was like Osheet! the gauge was on empty, but slowly climbed up to 1/8th tank or so. I turned car off while cruising to see if that would reset it, nope, still 0 til empty. Well made it the 20 mile trip w/o a problem, just a little on edge if I was going to run outta gas, lol.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

They say this happens because of some of the additives they put in different gas stations... I think it's sulfur that is throwing it off. It happened once, and I just drove with it and then after shutting it off/leaving it sit, then going out again later on it was fine.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Ive used the same 3 gas stations (BP) since I got the car.

Also wanted to add, the next time I filled up I had the pump cutting off issue, never had this before and same gas station as usual. I blame the pump, this time, we shall see.

nearing 7000 miles

Quick Reply: Gas Gauge Issue