Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

project headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:24 PM
phazeone
1st Gear Member

Default project headers

i got some money to spend on my car finally after a couple of months and cant make up my mind i wanted headers but i dont wanna pay for the labor since labor around here in south florida is gonna hurt my pocketim looking at around $500 to install them at a few local shops i was wondering how intense is the labor this something like this i feel i should be able to handle with me and a friend with my past expierences
just curious if any of u guys had tackled this project at home and what tools your normal do-it-yourselfer wouldnt have any help would be appreciated

im also thinking of ported heads, gears, and underdrive pulleys
outa those three which would be the most bang for the buck?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:32 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: project headers

I have installed my own headers. It is NOT difficult, but it is time consuming. You will need a helper for at least some of the work.

Most of the tools you would need are common items. There are two things that you will need that you might not have around: a 5 mm socket, and a 13mm ratcheting box-end wrench, preferably flexible (commonly called a "gear wrench").

Expect it to take an entire day.

As for your other mods, the gears will DEFINATLEY be your best bang for the buck--no doubt about it. You do have a CAI & Tuner as well, right?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:42 PM
phazeone
1st Gear Member

yup i was thinking the gears myself too but as far as the tuner n intake i brought those onto this car off my 05 V6
but for some reason im thinking about doing the heads and cams i just love the sound at idle i have a few friends with
old chevys with big cams in there and they sound perfect
Old 05-13-2006, 07:07 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

There are very few cam and head choices out for the 4.6 3-valve. From what I have read, the stock cams are actually pretty aggressive. Comp cams are about $900 for pair, and are expected to be worth about 30 hp. Now then, on a fully built race motor you could probably get more power out of them, but then we're talking a LOT more money. I belive ported heads are $2500 for a set... again, not cheap!

Old 05-13-2006, 07:57 PM
derck_mullin

Not sure if the prices were exchange or not, but I've been seeing heads for about $1500 max. There were two sets I've seen in tested in the mags. One was a Fox Lake set, the other is a set from Livernois. Believed they were worth somewhere in the 20-30 RWHP and torque range.

Derck
Old 05-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

My only concern with the Long tube headers, is what kind of modifictions do you need to do to the mid-pipe? I have an O/R H-pipe already, but I imagine you would have to alter it to compensate for the longer headers...
Old 05-13-2006, 10:50 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Yeah, you have to do something about the midpipe. I doubt that your "Stock style" OR H-pipe would be useable without serious custom modifications.

I belive that you can get aftermarket x-pipes from the various other header manufacturers that work with their headers. Or, if worse comes to worse, an exhaust shop should be able to fabricate something without too much trouble.

I bought the Dynatech LT header kit, which comes with an X-pipe. It simply replaces the stock manifolds and H-hipe, and mates with up with the rest of the exhaust system at the stock H-pipe/overaxle tube junction.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:47 AM
boss377

There's a good article in the July 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords on intalling the Ford ceramic shorties.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:18 AM
phazeone
1st Gear Member

as far as installin long tubes goes would you guys say the bottom of the car would be easier in removing and then replacing the stock manifolds with the headers or should i go about removing the battery and whatever else might be in the way and and attacking it from the top ?
any help would be appreciated
Old 05-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I think for the most part it would be easiest doing most of the work from the bottom as that is more accessible, but there may be some things that you might have to do from the top as well. -- That's just my vague experience from looking at them and doing my O/R H-pipe myself.

Quick Reply: project headers