Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TUNE FLASHING

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:23 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Default TUNE FLASHING

OK, this might sound like a "dumb" question, but, here goes.

Say I take my MUSTANG in for unscheduled service, and the service guy sees the "tune" on the computor. CAN the dealer flash it back to stock with their equipment ? and then say........... "hey, we noticed some extra stuff on you computor, so we changed it back to maintain your warranty"

I'm thinkin if this happens,...... Would my handheld tuner be able to flash it back ? or would it be rendered "useless" because it didn't take it back to the "stock settings" FIRST. (if it programmed it up, it has the up settings in it)

Typical scenario would be I'm on the road, and CE light comes on, or maybe some other problem. I drive or tow it to a dealer, (maybe not my home dealer) Either way, I don't have the chance to "detune it"

Hence my question. CAN a FORD dealer detune.......... or even FLASH a tune with their equipment ??

THANKS !!!
Old 06-07-2006, 01:29 PM
V8 Aggie
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TUNE FLASHING

I believe you will be alright. Your tuner will keep working just fine.

However I am not SCT tech so don't quote me on that
Old 06-07-2006, 01:33 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LEJAY

OK, this might sound like a "dumb" question, but, here goes.

Say I take my MUSTANG in for unscheduled service, and the service guy sees the "tune" on the computor. CAN the dealer flash it back to stock with their equipment ? and then say........... "hey, we noticed some extra stuff on you computor, so we changed it back to maintain your warranty"

I'm thinkin if this happens,...... Would my handheld tuner be able to flash it back ? or would it be rendered "useless" because it didn't take it back to the "stock settings" FIRST. (if it programmed it up, it has the up settings in it)

Typical scenario would be I'm on the road, and CE light comes on, or maybe some other problem. I drive or tow it to a dealer, (maybe not my home dealer) Either way, I don't have the chance to "detune it"

Hence my question. CAN a FORD dealer detune.......... or even FLASH a tune with their equipment ??

THANKS !!!
Why are you worried, you won't be adding aftermarket performance mods to your car will you??????? Afterall you are the one constantly busting peoples ***** by asking them if they think they are smarter than, know more than or can improve on what Ford engineers did because they did a perfect job with these cars.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:37 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Feel better now, QSB ????
ROFL
If u ain't smart nuff to anser da quesjun STF up.
It's a valid question, I'm sure ppl would like to know the answer to. The purpose of the question is to also see if those FORD ENGINEERS are able to do this.

JMO
Old 06-07-2006, 01:55 PM
dnatetsu
1st Gear Member

I think that when your tuner saves the stock program it stays that way. Meaning that no matter what is done to your ECU when you plug back in the menu(scroll) will still say"return
to stock or custom tune" IMO The handheld only Knows whats Been added or taken out
of it's memory not your ECU. I would like Brent or Fred to chime in though. I'm 99% sure
the techs can reflash.

Here's my baby.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24276/629923C5973F45F4A416BE2A9511EC79.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-07-2006, 02:01 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

LEJAY - You're getting awfully defensive, you don't like it when people question you? Oh and I'm done with this, I just wanted to give you a hard time since you always give other people a hard time for modding their cars and now you are asking about modding yours.

Edit: You're one to talk about helpful posts. This is the only thread I have ever contributed to that I did not try to help the person, you on the other hand chime in with worthless comments all the time.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:49 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Oh Contrar ! QSB, you've helped me with your post. Not a prob. Don't be so hard on yourself. Sh** wyja wait until now to bust chops ? There were a lot better chances than this one.
If you ever reread my posts, I was critical of ppl doing mods, and then complaining this and that was wrong, and the dealer was givin em a hard time. etc.. I'm not anti mod, just if you mod your 'Stang, don't expect a problem free warranty, and excellant dealer cooperation. Again, the purpose of my question was to see what a dealer could do to a tune.
Perhaps, you went on the defensive. You stated I was giving other ppl a hard time, not you. But, you decided to take it on yourself to fire away, so fire away, all you want.
By the way, you still didn't answer the question.

ROFL
Old 06-07-2006, 03:06 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Took my car to the dealer to troubleshoot a discharged battery recently. Thinking that they may have to access the computer to troubleshoot the problem, I figured it would be a good idea to tell the service manager that it has an aftermarket tune so they would not do anything that would possibly mess things up. And all he did was shrug his shoulders.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:42 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Good for you. Hopefully, no dealers will mess around with someone that has a tune.
I'm still wondering if they CAN do it, and if it messes up a hand held tuner.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:13 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

My understanding is yes they can reflash your computer and you will lose the Tune. Then you will essentially have to send your tuner back in to be reprogrammed. Why not just carry the tuner in the trunk?

Richard

Quick Reply: TUNE FLASHING