Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Compatible Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:28 PM
PaulH2

Default Compatible Mods

Hi all,

As I've mentioned a couple of times, I'm getting ready to order an '07 GT and am starting to think about mods. To start with, I think I'll keep it fairly basic, with mostly appearance work (rear window lourvres, chrome light kit, that kind of thing) and probably a CAI and tune. In a year or so (i.e. when I have the cash) I'll probably want to go with a supercharger (Saleen I think) and was wondering, is there a good choice of CAI to go with that, or doesn't it matter?

I was initially thinking of getting the new GT Appearance package, but the engine cover will be redundant with a supercharger, the rolled exhaust tips I can live without and I think I'd prefer a functional hood scoop at a later date, so that is probably a waste of money for now.

So, for all you experts, does this seem like a sensible plan and is there anything I need to be aware of now (regarding compatability) with basic mods that will work with the supercharger later?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 06-08-2006, 10:12 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Compatible Mods

WELCOME to MF.
Hang on................ get your car, drive it a "little", and then consider mods for it.

CAI and SC are 2 different mods, 2 different set ups, and you may not want to do both, as it is a duplication of $$$ spent.

Meanwhile, wait on your car, and read up on this forum, and other publications. I feel you will be better prepared to answer some of your own questions, and also decide on what you really want to do. You have the luxury of time to do research.

Most everyone here, will help you all they can.

GOOD LUCK
Old 06-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Yea...

Wait for just a bit... drive her around... Read the threads in here and THEN think about what you feel would work best for your style of driving.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:28 PM
PaulH2

Thanks for the advice guys. Let me back off a bit and try to re-state my question.

I don't know what I will want to do in a year or so, but I suspect I may want to go the S/C path (and I know I can't afford it now, so its not an issue). What I do know is that I'm almost certainly going to want to do something fairly soon after I get the car to get the HP up a bit, not least becasue I live in Albuquerque, NM and at almost 6,000ft, the air is pretty thin, hurting the performance of the engine. A CAI (with an appropriate tune) should help a lot with that problem as it will allow much greater air intake to the engine, and as it is relatively inexpensive, I think that is a reasonable way forward for the short term (although I don't know how well a canned tune will work at altitude).

I also believe (and please tell me if I'm wrong) that a S/C still needs an air intake of some sort , either the stock air cleaner or a CAI, and if the stock air cleaner can't provide enough air for the stock engine, I'd suspect a CAI is the way to go. I also know that some S/C are not compatible with some CAIs as they physically interfere. So, my question is, if I want to go with a CAI a couple of months after I get the car, and think I might want to go with a S/C in the future, are there any combinations that work better than others (for example, if I were to go with a Saleen S/C in the future, what CAI would be best)?

As I say, I may be making a false assumption there, but I think from what I've read here and elsewhere that I'm not too far off the mark.

Thanks,

Paul