Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what about headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Vidgomd
2nd Gear Member

Default what about headers

i want to get shorty headers for my 05 gt
prices performance??
anything ?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:40 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

Default RE: what about headers

The consensus around here appears to be that the shorty headers wont give you much. That being said - I've not seen a good header comparison done like the one which was done on intake systems. I put shorty headers on an Expedition a few years ago and it only appeared to make the exhaust sound different but it was an SUV vs. something with actual performance.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Vidgomd
2nd Gear Member

hmm that stinks i what will it make my car sound like i have an offroad x pipe and flowmaster mufflers right now.
i see bbk has nice ones for a good price.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:51 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

That's about right.

Shorty headers will give you anywhere from 3-5 HP: not much. I don't recall which one, but there was a magazine test of several different Shorty Headers and that was the conclusion they came to. The reason is that Shortys aren't much better than the stock manifolds, which are actually very nice (as far as manifolds go).

Longtube headers, on the other hand, are worth a lot more HP. The reason is that they properly time the exhaust pulses for better scavenging, something that is impossible with a shorty or manifold. LTs can give 20+ HP.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the shortys. They are about 75% of the price, and 90% of the work compared to installing Longtubes, but you only get one-quarter of the performance (at best). That just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I was under the car last night trying to see where the Gtrac brace goes, and I really looked at the whole exhaust from the manifolds back. It is REALLY well designed as factory or aftermarket systems go. I dont see much room for improvment anywhere, and judging by what I have read, that is pretty much accurate.

Sound is another story.

Long tubes are attractive, but my expiriences with headers on other cars has always sent me back to HP factory manifolds. Between the PITA to put them in, and all the other trouble associated with them, I dont know if they are worth the 20HP, to me anyway.

And they arent cheap either.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

go with some Long Tube Headers to compliment all your other mods.. as everyone said you wont get nearly the same HP gains from the shorties. DO IT RIGHT.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:54 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Regarding the longtube install:

Yes, it is time consuming--there's no avoiding that. It took me about 8 hours with air tools and jackstands (I didn't have a proper lift).

However, it was easy to do, at least with the Dynatech kit. Nothing was particularly difficult, it came apart and went together very easily.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:26 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

That's about right.

Shorty headers will give you anywhere from 3-5 HP: not much. I don't recall which one, but there was a magazine test of several different Shorty Headers and that was the conclusion they came to. The reason is that Shortys aren't much better than the stock manifolds, which are actually very nice (as far as manifolds go).

Longtube headers, on the other hand, are worth a lot more HP. The reason is that they properly time the exhaust pulses for better scavenging, something that is impossible with a shorty or manifold. LTs can give 20+ HP.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the shortys. They are about 75% of the price, and 90% of the work compared to installing Longtubes, but you only get one-quarter of the performance (at best). That just doesn't make sense to me.
They must be making the LT's out of some rare metal, have you seen the prices for a set? HOLY CRAP!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Sure I have. You can get the hookers for $500. That's in line with many of the shortys.

Granted, some of the kits are more expensive, but you can buy a good set for a pretty good price, IMHO.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:46 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

You have a link for the Hookers? Are they coated?

Quick Reply: what about headers