Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 06:37 PM
astroGT
1st Gear Member

Default First oil change

I just got my black pony last week and I was wondering when I should take it in to have the factory oil drained and the filter changed. Some people told me to take is ASAP and others tell me to wait until I have 1,000 miles on it. I'm lost.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:56 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default RE: First oil change

I always follow what the owners book says. They built it, they should know. You can also call your dealer service advisor and ask what he thinks, get to know him personally as he can be a good friend to you down the road! Congrats! Hope you got them to toss in free oil changes like I did! (2 years worth baby)!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:55 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Switch over to full synthetic oil now or wait until 3,000 miles.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 PM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

Which oil do you recomend me to use?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:18 AM
astroGT
1st Gear Member

Haha, that's a great idea man. I think I'll be getting a certain someone a 6 pack.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:19 AM
astroGT
1st Gear Member

Will the dealer put full synthetic oil if I tell them?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I am going to get my oil changed this weekend at 4,800 miles. Should I switch to synthetic? Or should I stick with a synthetic blend?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:28 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Well, at 4800 miles I hope that's not your first change. I think changing over to the full synthetic makes more sense if you want extra engine life and particularly if you push the rpms up often. I just changed mine for the second time at 5,000 miles and put Castrol Syntec 5W20 in but Mobil 1 and others are great products. WalMart sells them in 5 quart containers but you'll need at least six quarts with the filter change. It was a bitch trying to reach the oil drain plug which is located dead center in the rear of the oil pan. How the heck does everyone else reach the plug unless you've got very long arms? I guess using ramps or jacks would do the trick but I did it without them.
After I lower the car there's no way I'll be able to do it without getting more clearance. I prefer to do my own oil changes so I can actually check the oil for metal shavings and general appearance.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:39 AM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

My personal opinion is to wait until at least 1,500 before you change the factory oil. The factory oil is NOT your standard Motorcraft synthetic blend but rather has some additives to help break in the motor, namely to help seat the piston rings.

I also would not think about going full synthetic until at least 5,000 miles. Full synthetics, like Mobile One offer better lubrication then do a synthetic blend, such as Motorcraft. The reason to wait is again to insure the piston rings have seated correctly.

Change to a synthetic at 1,000 miles and you will have parts in the motor that just won’t wear in correctly…

Absolutely no reason to change to a full synthetic until at least 5,000 miles. If you really want to know the best practices you should look up some performance engine builders in your area give them a call and ask their opinion, it could be priceless…
Old 07-07-2006, 03:18 AM
Berring

I just changed mine at 3500k with Mobile 1. I hope it was a good move.

Quick Reply: First oil change