Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hood Blanket

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 AM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Hood Blanket

This might be a stupid question, but I'm chalk full of em... Anyway, is the hood blanket/pad on the 05 GT's necessary? I was oogling my engine bay tonight and thought it might look a hell of a lot better without it? And drawback to doing so?

Mock me if need be...
Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hood Blanket

The only drawback is the hood is not fully painted.

Richard
Old 07-13-2006, 01:45 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The blanket is not really "needed" for anything, though it does reduce engine noise somewhat.

If you want to remove it, it is very easy. It is held on with simple push-in plastic fasteners.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl
If you want to remove it, it is very easy. It is held on with simple push-in plastic fasteners.
No, No, No it cannot be easy, I am sure it takes several hours at $60/hr to remove them - like everything the dealer does. Oh, and it likely voids your warranty, and the EPA won't allow it and your mother thinks its a bad idea. Not to mention they are "christmass trees" (or "winter festival trees" for the politically correct). Even if you did do it, you need a special tool...[sm=joke.gif]

Seriously though, any saleen SC installers have to do this to get clearance? I am getting conflicting info on motor mounts ranging from "don't need 'em" to "need em" to "tight fit"
Old 07-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Yeah, do we need to change the motor mounts with a S/C ?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:07 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wally39
Yeah, do we need to change the motor mounts with a S/C ?
Rousch/Whipple/Kenne-Belle all fit as far as I know - this is a saleen specific issue owing to its "compact" design (I say that sarcastically, because it is much taller than the rest and requires that you move the Alternator... )

I was thinking about this a little more and it occured to me that if you have to pull out the pad to clear then when you really torque the engine it is going to hit the hood anyway...

So, I'd love to hear any first hand experience with this? As I have said, all the shops selling them have given different answers (regardless of whether they offer mounts or not)...

Lowering the engine/trans is generally a win/tie situaton for lowerd CG and pain in the butt respectively...

But, before I trash the car for a weekend, I want to make sure I have all the parts ready and leave time for block hoisting if required...

For the record, Haney says - "you may have to losen the mounts.... all the blowers we have sold, we have never received a call about the problem".

And Saleen installation man makes no mention of it (though they may be assuming a "Saleen" hood).

Old 07-13-2006, 05:37 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I am not sure about supercharger clearance, but I can tell you that the "hood blanket" is extremely thin and sits very close to the hood. Removing it is only going to get you a tiny bit of clearnance, if any at all.

Like you said, if the clearance is really that tight, if the motor moves a bit it will hit the hood anyway.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:44 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I wouldent remove it. On most cars there is a very significant temperature difference on the hood with and without the blanket.

If you want your hood paint to last longer, run a hood blanket.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:55 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

[&o] Gee. Wonder how many different threads in the last three days I have posted that you do not have to replace your motor mounts with a Saleen supercharger. Guess I need to go take pictures of my motor mounts and start posting them.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:29 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

[&o] Gee. Wonder how many different threads in the last three days I have posted that you do not have to replace your motor mounts with a Saleen supercharger. Guess I need to go take pictures of my motor mounts and start posting them.
Keep up the good work, if you say it often enough it even becomes true regardless of whether it was or not

Oh, and yes, pictures please! Post them in 7 or 8 of the dozens of threads in which you posted that

Quick Reply: Hood Blanket