Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

active anti-theft system

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:07 PM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

Default active anti-theft system

what exactly is included in this? im debating on whether or not to get this....the factory alarm is standard i suppose with the remote locking, unlocking, panic alarm etc...what does this do?

thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:46 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: active anti-theft system

The standard anti-theft system basically just immobilizes the ignition if the wrong key is used. The active system monitors the doors, hood, trunk, movement inside the vehicle and change in vehicle inclination. I think it is a good option for the price, no one pays any attention to car alarms anymore anyway, but it might at least scare away the thief.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:10 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: retfr8flyr

The standard anti-theft system basically just immobilizes the ignition if the wrong key is used. The active system monitors the doors, hood, trunk, movement inside the vehicle and change in vehicle inclination. I think it is a good option for the price, no one pays any attention to car alarms anymore anyway, but it might at least scare away the thief.
Just what he said, adds motion and shock and cuts off the ignition, however the one thing i was bummed about it was that if you have the top down the motion is disabled.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:59 PM
skip#7

I have active anti theft on my 06 GT had passive on my 05,the active seems better, it is does monitor the doors trunk and motion.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:23 PM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skip#7

I have active anti theft on my 06 GT had passive on my 05,the active seems better, it is does monitor the doors trunk and motion.
so you think it's worth it to get the active anti-theft?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:25 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

In my opinion it is worth it, but here is the low down. Most career criminals will not be scared away by a alarm system and can disable it probaly within 30 seconds. However with out the chip key they are going to have to do a little more work to start it. But if they want your car bad enough they are just gonna load it onto a flatbed and drive it away so they will have all the time in the world then. Most car theifs just want to strip it down and sell it for parts anyway. In this case buy lo jack or any kind of GPS system for your car is the best bet.

But the alarm will keep out kids and petty theifs, they usually get scared off by them, so to me that is why it is worth it. Think of it more of protecting the valubles inside of your car then actualy protecting the car.

ORIGINAL: gt7er

ORIGINAL: skip#7

so you think it's worth it to get the active anti-theft?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

hmm, yeah that makes sense, is there an extra alarm siren in addition to the horn for the active anti_theft?
Old 07-23-2006, 06:46 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

In many cases it gets you a small discount on your insurance...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:20 AM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

WARNING - If you plan on napping in your car, do not purchase the active-anti theft system. I found that out after a nice 15 minute catnap in my car. Once I moved, everything started going off and scared the sh*t out of me. Alas, it works very well.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:56 AM
slowpozer
1st Gear Member

I have it and like the fact that the motion detectors are integrated into the overhead light panel. Also, since the computer is monitoring the system, it is probably very hard to defeat. Without the computers cooperation, ain't nobody starting the car. So it's a lot more integrated than just ignition cut off. What I don't like is 1)No battery back up. 2) Uses horn instead of siren.
None of us could know how good it is.
As an aside, when Ford introduced the passive anti-theft key, the mustang dropped off the ten most stolen car list.

Quick Reply: active anti-theft system