Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default Supercharger Question

I just ordered a Saleen supercharger from teamjdm.com. It says it's for a 2005, but I assume it will work on a 2006 automatic?
And does it come with everything I need? I ordered they're engine lowering mounts too. Maybe I should ask them also.
Thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 12:07 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger Question

05/06 are the same for the purposes of this SC...

The auto _may_ be an issue - I did not dig into this as I have a stick, but when I purchased they said something like "you don't have an auto do you?"

And there are a few blurbs in the instructions (which again I ignored) about auto-only steps...

So, do ask!

As for "everything you need", yes - is it everything you "want"? Perhaps not...

Ask JDM specifically - they may be dealing with the intake and injectors with their bundle...

The "normal" plus the 475 upgrade is pretty darn close to everything you "want" - JDM may or may not have packaged something like that...

This is what is missing from the "normal" kit that you will find in the "475 HP upgrade":
1. smaller pulley for more HP
2. #39 injectors
3. bigger intake (which you can replace with a good CAI)

Lastly - there is "the tune"...

Saleen wants you to send them their PCM and they will "tune" it... I did this for the first pass to limit varaibles. Most people say that you need a tune beyond what they give you and that is not included in the kit from Saleen

Short version - as far as "nuts and bolts" - yes, kit is very complete, other than tools, you can install what is in the box and drive away. But many want to keep going after they install the blower and add the obvious power "enhancements" (injectors, smaller pulley, CAI, tune)...
Old 08-05-2006, 02:51 AM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Cekim, did you do the install yourself. Don't think I ever would, but just wondering how much is involved.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Now I'm worried. I already ordered it and my car is an automatic. I wrote them telling them that. They will get my order first thing Monday morning. Nothing says you have to have a manual, except for the upgrade kit.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:37 PM
flounderlipps
2nd Gear Member

I think JDMs car is an auto
Old 08-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I read more about it and it sounds like you have to send your pcm to them to be reprogrammed. You tell them info about your car like auto or manual etc.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:33 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wally39
I read more about it and it sounds like you have to send your pcm to them to be reprogrammed. You tell them info about your car like auto or manual etc.
That is correct, but in the instructions (which you can download from Saleen without buying it), include at least one and maybe two steps (can't remember), that were auto only...

The only reason I mention it is when I called to order mine, they very specifically asked if I had a manual and in a way that made it sound like there might be a component that was specific to the auto...

It can't be anythin too significant looking at what is in the kit, but perhap a cable/connector for the auto trans? As I said, I know nothing since I happily answered "no" to the auto question.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:46 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikefan20
Cekim, did you do the install yourself. Don't think I ever would, but just wondering how much is involved.
Yes, it is a pretty involved process (10-16 hours depending on how organized/complete your toolset is), but doable in your garage with 2 caveats:
1. my compressor died and could not give enough oomph to pull the alternator pulley
2. the unit is H.E.A.V.Y...

When they say "have a friend help you lower it in gently", they failed to specify that either you this freind or both needed to be rather burley...

I managed to get it in by myself, but it was quite the work-out...

It is tight enough with the firewall that you have to do a little experimentation as to how to get it in. Straight down does not work... You have to lower the nose into the "lifter valley" first and then let the back down...

If you have rebuilt an engine before, there is nothing surprising. No fabrication/welding/tapping etc... If you haven't ever ripped up an engine compartment, it is likely to be a bit more than you can handle... You need to have a good understanding of the mechanics of an engine to deal with somewhat vauge instructions on water, vacuum and electrical plumbing that were clearly intended for a "mechanic" more so than a hobbyist.

I was debating writing up a description similar to the one on the KB but wasn't sure if anyone would care?
Old 08-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I'm lucky to have an older brother to install it for me. He's into cars big time. I will help him of course. He has a nice garage/shop to do it in. Now I'm wondering if I should get the 39# injectors. Looking more like I should.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:06 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I'll leave it to the pro's. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Question