Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

can someone please answer this question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:41 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: can someone please answer this question?

ORIGINAL: Gig4Fun
ORIGINAL: gt7er

i just read a review of the mustang saying that the suspension is different for 18 inch wheels than the 17 inch wheels...is this true? can someone answer this for sure? im thinking of getting bigger wheels but if the suspension is different then id rather get the 18s...crap.
Yes it is different. The springs I know were "softened up" for the 18" 64'w I have on my '06. This is information straight from the factory (I think it was Kazinti or something like that on the Blue Oval forum I tracked it on). He works at the factroy and I had a hold on mine when it was being built and it was for the suspension required for the 64'w. (18" polished) He looked into it and I was told then that the springs were softened up because of the shorter sidewall. They may be more done. I stopped careing about the hold when it was released...
Well, that would explain why I felt no difference between the 17" and 18" during back-to-back test drives...

I just assumed by butt dyno was not tuned for suspension and/or it just didn't make much difference...

Service manual makes repeated note to compare the spring code to the sticker on the door...

So, it would indeed appear that they have rates specific to builds...
Old 08-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Skunkworks
1st Gear Member

I could be wrong about this, but I think they softened the suspension for 18" for 06-07, something having to do with wheelhop. NOT sure though, just rumour.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:59 AM
DaBoss
2nd Gear Member

Can someone post a link to some hard facts on this? I hear a lot of speculation, but nothing solid. I find it very dificult to believe that Ford would spend the extra money on a suspension variation just for a wheel size change.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:35 AM
TomsEleanor
1st Gear Member

I think I read this before I got my baby in August of last year.

"Mustang GT customers can now also choose between four different wheel and tire packages, including two new 18-inch wheels and tires complemented by unique suspension tuning."
http://www.mustangheaven.com/stangsp...stang_main.htm

I have no idea what the so called "unique suspension tuning" refers to but thats just what I read......
Old 08-09-2006, 11:30 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DaBoss
Can someone post a link to some hard facts on this? I hear a lot of speculation, but nothing solid. I find it very dificult to believe that Ford would spend the extra money on a suspension variation just for a wheel size change.
Well, it seems that hard facts are hard to come by - try this

My speculation is that the "spring code" is the one labeled "SPR"...

My '06 Vert with 18"s says CCGG which I assume means Front C-C Rear G-G

The tag on the rear spring itself says:
SGR

Anyone else want to look at theirs and see what they have?

P.S. to confirm my theory on the door sticker code - here is a decoder for older fords:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...r_Decoder.html

Note that the "5560" spring is the same family that I just pulled out of my mustang (5R33-5560-GB)
Old 08-09-2006, 02:53 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

I have an 06 GT and got it with Fanblades. Ford did advertise the 18" wheels with a "unique suspension tuning" but no one knew what it meant. I just looked at my springs for you guys and mine say Steeda....
Old 08-09-2006, 03:32 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scramblr
I have an 06 GT and got it with Fanblades. Ford did advertise the 18" wheels with a "unique suspension tuning" but no one knew what it meant. I just looked at my springs for you guys and mine say Steeda....
Mine say Roush, but what does your door say? (and what we really need is a 17" wheel - not more 18's - though mine is a Vert - who knows maybe they made them even more squishy...)
Old 08-09-2006, 10:54 PM
DaBoss
2nd Gear Member

OK, so I checked my door sticker and my spring code is FFBB. I guess they did change things up for different wheel sizes. Mine came with 17" Premium wheels.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

18s here: CCGG on my door.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:59 AM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

anybody know what ccgg and ffbb means? i ordered mine with 17s but if the springs are different i migh twant to go with 18s, since i plan on getting 20s..

Quick Reply: can someone please answer this question?