Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone do this BMR swaybar delete?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:03 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Default Anyone do this BMR swaybar delete?

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../photo_07.html

Shaves 24lbs off the front end. I sure wouldn't mind my front end leaving the ground every now and then!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone do this BMR swaybar delete?

I guess Im missing the point. What is that red bar theyre bolting in place of the factory suttf?? It seems odd that youd add something, rather than just unbolt the sway bar from the links and frame bushings. Thats what I would do, leave the factory bracket and remove the sway bar (drag only). But you must understand that when you remove the front sway bar your car is going to drive like absolute **** on the street. Itll have MASSIVE amounts of body roll in the corners, and an overall loss of stability. IF youre tryign to make your car squat better at the track just unbolt it from the links and when youre done reconnect them.
-P.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:14 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

I'll probably need those custom 15 inch rims which shaved 66lbs compared to stock. The car sure looks badass with those 15's and all that rubber in the rear.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:17 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

I'm sure the point is not to have to do that every time. It's about reducing the overall weight of the car permanently. You don't have to tell me it will drive like **** without the front swaybar. I removed mine from my ranger just to see and never again!

ORIGINAL: P Zero

I guess Im missing the point. What is that red bar theyre bolting in place of the factory suttf?? It seems odd that youd add something, rather than just unbolt the sway bar from the links and frame bushings. Thats what I would do, leave the factory bracket and remove the sway bar (drag only). But you must understand that when you remove the front sway bar your car is going to drive like absolute **** on the street. Itll have MASSIVE amounts of body roll in the corners, and an overall loss of stability. IF youre tryign to make your car squat better at the track just unbolt it from the links and when youre done reconnect them.
-P.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:33 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I guess Im missing the point. What is that red bar theyre bolting in place of the factory suttf?? It seems odd that youd add something, rather than just unbolt the sway bar from the links and frame bushings. Thats what I would do, leave the factory bracket and remove the sway bar (drag only). -P.

The "red part" is the radiator support / sway bar bracket. Of course, you can remove the sway bar for free. But the BMR kit goes further than that. The OEM "radiator support" is very heavy, becasue it also has to mount the sway bar. The BMR part is a lighter replacement. Without the sway bar, you don't need that heavy bracket. By swapping the factory support for the BMR one you will save even more weight than the swaybar alone.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:51 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Actually these cars drive pretty nice without the front swaybar, mine has been without for over 2k miles now.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:47 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, I read that in their article, I thought the BMR product actually replaced the swaybar function somehow, but it actually just replaces the radiator support like was said. I wonder if anyone makes 15 inch rims for the new mustangs? I read on here it wasn't possible because of the brakes, but obviously with the right offset it's possible.

I like the way it looks with smaller rims and all that rubber, super tough!

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../photo_30.html

By the way, does that car look lowered? It doesn't say in the article, unless i missed it, it did say LCA's though.

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

Actually these cars drive pretty nice without the front swaybar, mine has been without for over 2k miles now.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:38 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I guess Im missing the point. What is that red bar theyre bolting in place of the factory suttf?? It seems odd that youd add something, rather than just unbolt the sway bar from the links and frame bushings. Thats what I would do, leave the factory bracket and remove the sway bar (drag only). -P.

The "red part" is the radiator support / sway bar bracket. Of course, you can remove the sway bar for free. But the BMR kit goes further than that. The OEM "radiator support" is very heavy, becasue it also has to mount the sway bar. The BMR part is a lighter replacement. Without the sway bar, you don't need that heavy bracket. By swapping the factory support for the BMR one you will save even more weight than the swaybar alone.
+1 - the real benefit is the radiator support delete. The factory sway bars connect to the radiator support and the bar eliminates that support as well and that's where you see the real weight savings. I know many, many cars with this on (inlcluding mine). It comes standard in red or black and for a small fee can be painted any color you want. Most I know just have the black. It is one of the first mods to do for weight shaving.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:11 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

WOW... first time Ive seent he front tires on a new Stang leave the ground... wonder how much HP youd need to be able to do that? I have never watched videos of my Stang at the track before but I wonder how much my car squats like that... man that is freakin crazy.. like old school big block **** right there.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:47 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Read the article. The red stang was a bone stock manual GT. They added C&L and tune plus chromoly one piece drive shaft. Along with 90lbs worth of weight shaving off the front end which included the rims and swaybar delete. I think that was it, the drag radials on 15 inch rims in the rear really help to lift the front, look at the flex in the sidewall in the picture from the rear.

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

WOW... first time Ive seent he front tires on a new Stang leave the ground... wonder how much HP youd need to be able to do that? I have never watched videos of my Stang at the track before but I wonder how much my car squats like that... man that is freakin crazy.. like old school big block **** right there.

Quick Reply: Anyone do this BMR swaybar delete?