Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cat-back.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Cat-back.

An exhaust question, but something that hasn't exactly been asked because I doubt anyone is in the same position as me. I have Magnaflow Resonators welded on my hump pipe. (The pipe that goes from your mid-pipe, over your axle, to your axle backs.) I'm contemplating redoing my exhaust completely so I will either have to cut the resonators off and welded a piece of pipe back in, or purchase a new "cat back" type pype.

The only question is. Is there any companies that make JUST the catback piece, without a muffler combo? If I could get one for $100-200 it may be reasonable. Anything more and I'll just have to live with removing the resonators and welding some pipe in there. (Although i'm not completely sure if the resonators will ruin my idea of making a good exhaust system... I guess it's something I can do and then change it later on if I don't like it.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:33 PM
kalel001
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cat-back.

Do the Magnaflow Performance cat back and add an X-pipe.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:19 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

You should be able to get one from Mac. I know because I almost got them to send me one with some changes I was gonna do before I got Lt's. It is not listed on the website but if you call them they should be able to send you one as well. They quoted me a $200 price. I think the sales guys name was James or Steave..

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

You should be able to get one from Mac. I know because I almost got them to send me one with some changes I was gonna do before I got Lt's. It is not listed on the website but if you call them they should be able to send you one as well. They quoted me a $200 price. I think the sales guys name was James or Steave..

Good luck.
This is just for the pipe that goes from the mid-pipe to the axle back, correct?
Old 09-17-2006, 09:10 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

That is correct.
Again let me say that this item was not posted on the website but if you get someone on the phone they should be able to help you out. As I stated before I was going with Mac products to get all my parts the same. (Had MAC ab's at the time) So I was going with the Mac headers, MAC prochamber and the o/r pipes that would connect between the Prochamber and the ab's. The guy called me back twice and was very helpful. He checked with who ever he had to check with and confirmed they had several of these sets in; he said they were new and they would be $200 for the pipes only. If it were not for me getting such a good deal on my Kooks LT's and catted X I would have got everything from them.

He mentioned that they get them in spurts based on order changes or what ever. I wish I could remember his name fore sure but I'm not 100%.

I would just call them and say a friend of your sent you to them about the pipes.

FYI- One other reason I did not get those pipes from them is after talking with several people and shops they all felt that there would be no gain in changing them from stock as the stock pipes were great.

Hope it helps you out.

(Dont be pissed at me if they are out or wont sell them now, I spent alot of time on the phone with them and also sweetend them up be talking about how much I loved my MAC ab's.) If you have any trouble on the phone PM me and I will call them for you, if I hear the guys voice I will know its him; he will remember our detailed talks and may work with me if he gives you trouble.

later ...Walker
Old 09-18-2006, 02:43 AM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

Does the aftermarket "hump" pipe do any good? Is it smoother than the stock one or anything?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Well, from what I hear the left side of the hump is crimped, so an aftermarket will give you the proper bending... but I doubt it'll give you any gain like Flewbyu said. The only reason I want a new 'hump' pipe is because I've altered mine for a resonator. In order to remove the resonator I would have to add a section of pipe, I'd much rather have all new pipe in there to keep it clean, rather then sectioning pieces together. I just wanted to know if something was available, I still haven't bit the bullet and went ahead and decided to redo my exhaust completely. One of these days.