Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car broke down tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 04:54 AM
LimeTime
1st Gear Member

Default Car broke down tonight...

Well it happen tonight, the dreaded break down. I was cruising along at about 60 and all of a sudden it felt like the brakes starting applying and the car started slowing down..then a nasty loud screeching/howling sound happened and the whole car stated vibrating. Holy s*** I pulled right over. All I could smell was gear oil and the whole back bumper taillights and spoiler of my car are covered in gear oil. WTF!!!

So I looked underneath and there was some oil dripping down directly between the mufflers out of some container (remote oiling for diff, tranny or something????) Anydody know what this container of gear oil is...it is right between the mufflers and it has 2 lines going into it...whatever this thing is blew a s*** load of oil everywhere and what sounds and feels like it cooked the rear differential...the car still moves but it is making a nasty sound around the diff area.

Well my dealer is closed for the weekend so I guess i'll find out what happen on Monday.

This picture shows the area I'm talking about, this thing and everything around it is covered in oil.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38251/94EEB9FA6CA84D058849CB6FC835C260.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-21-2006, 07:54 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Car broke down tonight...

That's not an oil container, a bunch of emission stuff is in there, has nothing to do with the oil or differential. Sounds like your differential blew the gasket. Thinking you shouldn't be driving you car, although your gears may be shot by now. The gear oil was blown back from the differential to the rear of your car while you were driving, that's why there's oil all over the black shield where the emission stuff is.

Who installed your 4:10s? That's who you should be calling. If it was the dealership, don't drive your car there. Call the dealership and have them come get it. If it was another shop, the dealership isn't going to cover you under warranty and will charge you an arm and a leg for parts and repair. If it was a shop, you should either have them send out a flat bed or you call one and have them bring the car there.

Let us know what comes of this...
Old 10-21-2006, 10:22 AM
silver05gt1
1st Gear Member

+1 to what scramblr said. The stuff in that box back there is all emissions stuff and some sort of purge canister for the fuel tank. So if anything in there blew up you would have gas everywhere, not oil.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:16 PM
LimeTime
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, my dealership is the only people who ever touch my car. I'ts funny though it does'nt appear to be wet around the diff at all, just a bunch of oil on this canister and all over the back of my car. Well I guess they will be installing new gears cause it definetly sounds like my diff is blown.

I will get Ford roadside to tow it and will update as soon as it's in the shop, thanks again.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:27 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm...Got some pics of the differential? My gasket got a leak (probably when doing susp mods) and I noticed it due to dirt collecting on it causing that black grime. Thankfully is was a smal leak at the top and I caught it before it blew and drained all the oil. You're saying your differential is dry, but the oil could've all blown to the back, however, you'd expect some of it to still be on the cover. ???
Old 10-21-2006, 05:31 PM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

that friggin sucks....
Old 10-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

i hate when the muffler bearings go
Old 10-21-2006, 05:50 PM
LimeTime
1st Gear Member

Well I just had another look, it was pretty hard to see cause my car is so low but the bottom of the diff is wet, and now there are a few drops of oil directly under the diff. So I guess it was a seal that blew thus causing a no oil situation in turn cooking the diff.

Brutal...I really hope it was not tech error as it has only been 6 months since the 4.10's went in. Regardless my dealer will cover it for me, I do alot of buisness with them and we are good friends, it just sucks that it happen on a Friday and I have to wait 2 days without a car to drive.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:22 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

WTF are muffler bearings LOL?
ORIGINAL: Stoenr

i hate when the muffler bearings go
Old 10-22-2006, 04:00 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs