Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Short Throw Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:33 PM
Silver06GT

Default Short Throw Shifter?

Anybody install a short throw shifter? I'm generally happy with the action of the stock shifter, but the 1st to 2nd throw is long. Does installation of a B&M, for example, require removing the console?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Short Throw Shifter?

I would recomend the saleen short throw shift adapter if you are happy with the stock shifter. HERE is a post I made about some problems I was having with it but that got resolved in the thread and there are some good pics in there. It is not the best but it will cost ALOT less than the best. I have to say though after I got mine all adjusted just right and I installed my K member brace I love it. It is not notchy at all and the throw is very short. And with the K member brace there is 0 binding. I would not trade it even up for a hurst. Hurst is just to notchy.

I was originally planning on buying a tri ax later on but now I have cancled those plans.

HERE is a post on the K member brace.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:49 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

You just need to remove the shift ****/boot and get under the car to install a SS like the Pro 5.0 or Tri-Ax. Well worth it I wouldnt shift any other way. Simple install, I did it in 45 minutes.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:25 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

I installed the Steeda Tri-Ax on mine. Personally I do not think it is worth the $$, I barely feel a difference.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RCT06GT

I installed the Steeda Tri-Ax on mine. Personally I do not think it is worth the $$, I barely feel a difference.
Seriously? Ive never felt the Tri-Ax but I thought it was very similar to the Pro 5.0? Your more than welcome to drive mine to compaire.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:07 PM
jlpskydive
1st Gear Member

I have the tri-ax also and all I can say is that it's OK. 2nd to 3rd is more confident, but other than that it's not all that.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:48 PM
CTE
1st Gear Member

I went with the Hurst, like many others. Easy install, but it helps to have an additional person helping out, one in the car, one under. There were some post some time back with pictures and instructions.

I like it, short and notchy, plus the classic retro white **** I think adds a bit of class. Beside theCAI, it was the best mod I put on the car.

I recently let a friend drive the car as we switched cars. She has a GT vert, 5 sp, straight stock. I was shocked at how it felt having forgotten the original stock shift slop, and she was very impressed with the mod of the shifter and the added power of the CAI and tune.

Lots of opinions on what type of shifter, but I know I like the Hurst. It pretty much cut the throw in half. I never measured it, but the post I referred to actually did measure the difference. Anything has got to be better than stock.

Just my opinion, good luck.

CTE aka Scubadog
Old 11-03-2006, 06:09 AM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

I want to get rid of my Tri-Ax. I would almost be willing to trade it for a Hurst straight up.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

I love my Tri-ax. It is my first mod, and the difference is like night and day from the stock shifter.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:12 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Maybe I got a defected one.

Quick Reply: Short Throw Shifter?