Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GAS PUMP PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:44 PM
05Pony
1st Gear Member

Default GAS PUMP PROBLEM

This is prolly a repost but why in the world when im trying to fill up does the damn pump kick off like its ganna over flow. Is there somthing i can do to fix this?
Old 11-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: GAS PUMP PROBLEM

There is a tsb on it but from what i have heard its not woth it, you can try flipping the nozzle over, that works for most. I have found that on pumps that the flow is turned up it happens more, slower pumps it does not, so try slowing the pump down and it will probably go away.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:54 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

I've heard the angle of the tube that extends to the gas tank causes vapor lock with tricks the pump into thinking the tank is full.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:08 PM
05Pony
1st Gear Member

My Trans Am did that when i had it but only on one pump at this certain gas station. but this f'ing mustang does it all the time, takes me like 10-15 min to fill up sometimes.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:18 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Ya I supposidly had the TSB done, does no good. Depends upon the pump, but it's just habit now to rotate the gas nozzle 180 degrees....fills like a charm.....

Oh and looks so damn cool when you're doing it as well......

Mike

Old 11-22-2006, 08:17 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

Ya I supposidly had the TSB done, does no good. Depends upon the pump, but it's just habit now to rotate the gas nozzle 180 degrees....fills like a charm.....

Oh and looks so damn cool when you're doing it as well......

Mike

That's exactly what I do..tilt sideways and then no problem...just another one of those little idiosyncrasies (yes, I know..big word) we Stang owners have to deal with..still love my Pony...
Old 11-22-2006, 09:42 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

From what I've read, Ford "corrected" the fill problem in late 05, so all 06s should not have this issue. If you have an 05, take it in and under warranty, they'll change out your fuel tank. I've got a 2006GT, and fill problem has happened to me twice in the last 3 months.. so not sure the 'fix' truly corrected the issue. But like everyone else has posted, just fill slow, or hold nozzle at a different angle to allow for air displacement.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:52 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

That's exactly what I do..tilt sideways and then no problem...just another one of those little idiosyncrasies (yes, I know..big word) we Stang owners have to deal with..still love my Pony...

LOL...+1....
Old 11-22-2006, 09:59 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DoctorQ

From what I've read, Ford "corrected" the fill problem in late 05, so all 06s should not have this issue. If you have an 05, take it in and under warranty, they'll change out your fuel tank. I've got a 2006GT, and fill problem has happened to me twice in the last 3 months.. so not sure the 'fix' truly corrected the issue. But like everyone else has posted, just fill slow, or hold nozzle at a different angle to allow for air displacement.

mine is a late 06..and i was the last guy who start a post on this; still have the problem but have not had the chance to go to ford.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:44 PM
frzn pony
1st Gear Member

They replaced the tank inmy 05. it got a lot better,but still have problems depending on the station

Quick Reply: GAS PUMP PROBLEM