Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Technical Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

Default Technical Question

Ok, So I'm looking at getting Long Tube headers and either an X pipe or an H pipe with high flow cats. I've heard that an X pipe will give your exhaust a tingy sound verses an H pipe that has a deeper sound. My question is, does an X pipe really give you that much better performance over an H pipe? I mean are we talking a 1 to 2 horsepower difference or are the numbers greater? I have Mac axle backs also so will an X pipe even give that tingy sound? Also I remember reading on hear about this set-up helping in reducing Drone. Is this true at all? I've gotten used to the drone but I wouldn't mind it being reduced a little.

Headers choices are either Mac, Kooks, Dynatech

and matching mid pipe to complete.

Crazyal had a good write up about headers and the 1 5/8 verses the 1 3/4 for the headers and the quality of stainless used. That was a great help but I couldn't find anything pertaining to the questions above.

Any help would be awesome !!!

Thanks, George
Old 11-27-2006, 04:47 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Technical Question

I will let you know tomorrow night.. I am currently running stock h pipe with Borla stingers (FRRP) changing to kooks set up with the x pipe etc and keeping the borla stingers...install is tomorrow AM....
ORIGINAL: 06 Black Beauty

Ok, So I'm looking at getting Long Tube headers and either an X pipe or an H pipe with high flow cats. I've heard that an X pipe will give your exhaust a tingy sound verses an H pipe that has a deeper sound. My question is, does an X pipe really give you that much better performance over an H pipe? I mean are we talking a 1 to 2 horsepower difference or are the numbers greater? I have Mac axle backs also so will an X pipe even give that tingy sound? Also I remember reading on hear about this set-up helping in reducing Drone. Is this true at all? I've gotten used to the drone but I wouldn't mind it being reduced a little.

Headers choices are either Mac, Kooks, Dynatech

and matching mid pipe to complete.

Crazyal had a good write up about headers and the 1 5/8 verses the 1 3/4 for the headers and the quality of stainless used. That was a great help but I couldn't find anything pertaining to the questions above.

Any help would be awesome !!!

Thanks, George
Old 11-27-2006, 04:51 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Hey,

On a stock-ish engine an X-pipe is going to have a slight HP advantage over an H-pipe (assuming they are otherwise identical). It's not a huge amount. I would figure 2-4 HP or thereabouts. So no, the HP difference is not huge.

On the other hand, it can be very difficult to find an H-pipe that is compatible with Longtubes. Generally when you get longtubes you also get a matching midpipe from the same company. So, for example, if you bought "Brand X" LT Headers then you would also need a "Brand X" midpipe. The trouble is that most of the companies only make X-pipes, not H-pipes.

The difference in sound is not a big deal. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, and I'd make my decision based on price and quality of the components. Any LT setup is going to sound awesome.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:58 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

mac axel backs, those are chambered muff arent they, i have headers and x pipe, and i went trough flowmasters 40 series, american thunders, and the mac, and i hated it, it sounded like chubacha on steriods at certain points, and the drone was unbarable, now i have borla non chambered muffs, and i love it
Old 11-27-2006, 06:50 PM
pegasusphototx
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

I will let you know tomorrow night.. I am currently running stock h pipe with Borla stingers (FRRP) changing to kooks set up with the x pipe etc and keeping the borla stingers...install is tomorrow AM....
This is probably the combo I'm going to go with, as I have the FRPP Stingers as well. Will you have a chance to upload an audio clip from your new system?

Thanks,
-danny
Old 11-27-2006, 07:23 PM
flounderlipps
2nd Gear Member

I have SLP L/Ts with thier catted xpipe and stock mufflers and it dors not sound tinny at all
I think it sounds rather mean
Sounds a little like a 5.0 with flowmasters
Old 11-27-2006, 10:14 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

I have the catted X from Kooks. I also have Mac ab's. I had a drone prior to the X and Lt's with the Macs it was not all the time though, it was only at certain rpm's. It went away after the Kooks install although I don't know why or if it was because of the X or the Lt's?. If you want to hear a sample click here Some old clips
although it does no justice to in person. You loose something with the speakers. If that link does not work just look in my sig for my car site.

Post some feedback after your install dude.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:47 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

thanks, I would love to know how it sounds. I looked at the Kooks set-up and they are one of my top picks.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:53 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

ok Crazyal that was what I was looking for. Thank you. The only one that I found with an H pipe is the Mac's and its more of an H chamber I guess and not really an H pipe per say. I want Long tubes and that means I have to change the mid pipe. My neighbor has JBA's with there Catted X and Bassini's (sp) andit doesn't sound bad. What do you think of the Hooker set-up?
Old 11-27-2006, 11:01 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

That is music to my ears flewbyu...... mine isn't bad just in 5th at low speeds around 1800 to 2000 grand. I listened to your clip and it sounded great but like you said I'm sure it doesn't do it justice. I found Kooks LT headers and catted X-pipe for around $1,300.00

Quick Reply: Technical Question