Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How fast is it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:37 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default How fast is it?

Just saw a Ford ad on TV for GT's. They said 300 HP, so they were talking about GT's. They also said 4.9 sec 0-60. I thought I read somewhere that it was 5.2 sec for manual and 5.4 for the automatic. So what are the "correct" times 0-60 time for a stock with standard and with automatic? Mine is stock automatic.

A related question - the salesman I bought the car from said that if someone challenges me at a stoplight, I should turn traction control off. Isn't it the job of the traction control to keep the tires from losing traction? Would I get the fastest start with traction control on or off?

Apologies to you racing guys for having to read a noobie question.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 PM
cphair
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How fast is it?

Don't know about the 0-60 time, but the traction control ****** me all the time! I wutn it off as soon as I turn the car on unless there is rain or snow. I know with mine, as soon as I start to spin the wheels hard on a launch, the traction control kicks in and the car dies. So turn that thing off... just do go crazy on launch! [sm=gears.gif]
Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 PM
cphair
1st Gear Member

Sorry about the typo... It should read "I turn it off..."
Old 12-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

Just saw a Ford ad on TV for GT's. They said 300 HP, so they were talking about GT's. They also said 4.9 sec 0-60. I thought I read somewhere that it was 5.2 sec for manual and 5.4 for the automatic. So what are the "correct" times 0-60 time for a stock with standard and with automatic? Mine is stock automatic.

A related question - the salesman I bought the car from said that if someone challenges me at a stoplight, I should turn traction control off. Isn't it the job of the traction control to keep the tires from losing traction? Would I get the fastest start with traction control on or off?

Turning off the TCS is good because with it on, it pulls timing when you get up to higher RPMs and it will help with your accelerating.

The 4.9 is doable on a stock car with stock rubber, it is hard, but doable. Your car is also underrated at 300 HP and they normally make around 315 to the crank.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:59 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cphair

Don't know about the 0-60 time, but the traction control ****** me all the time! I wutn it off as soon as I turn the car on unless there is rain or snow. I know with mine, as soon as I start to spin the wheels hard on a launch, the traction control kicks in and the car dies. So turn that thing off... just do go crazy on launch! [sm=gears.gif]
Wow. My '07 doesn't do that. Ford must have improved it. I don't get much chance to really hit it hard, but one rainy day, I had to pull over on the shoulder of a freeway. When I got back on the highway, I put it to the floor with the traction control on. I was surprised. The road was wet, but it didn't spin the wheels, fishtail, or anything, and got up to 70 really quickly.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:02 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

Turning off the TCS is good because with it on, it pulls timing when you get up to higher RPMs and it will help with your accelerating.

The 4.9 is doable on a stock car with stock rubber, it is hard, but doable. Your car is also underrated at 300 HP and they normally make around 315 to the crank.
But 4.9 would be with the manual, right? With the automatic and traction control off, maybe 5.1 or 5.2?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:06 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

His Car ( 2007 ) ?

Or 2005+ ?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:06 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arwing

His Car ( 2007 ) ?

Or 2005+ ?
Who, me? My car's an '07 GT with about 2000 miles on it. It's totally stock, 17" wheels & the stock Pirelli tires.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:50 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

There are various results the best 0-60 for a manual is 4.9 stock, the best for an automatic is 5.0 stock. Keep TCS off while launching a car off the line etc. but for daily driving just leave it on unless you're going to be having some fun.

-Jeff
Old 12-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: Arwing

His Car ( 2007 ) ?

Or 2005+ ?
your post makes no sense...

2005-2007 make the same power in the same power band

ORIGINAL: nothsa

There are various results the best 0-60 for a manual is 4.9 stock, the best for an automatic is 5.0 stock. Keep TCS off while launching a car off the line etc. but for daily driving just leave it on unless you're going to be having some fun.

-Jeff
+1

He didn't mean his car dies as in the engine turns off, he meant that it kills(slows) the acceleration..

Quick Reply: How fast is it?