Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DEAD BATTERY PROBLEMS.........

Old 12-16-2006, 12:34 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Default DEAD BATTERY PROBLEMS.........

a "GOOD FRIEND" called me tonight, with COMPLAINTS, that his '06 GT, is constantly "discharging", and won't start. He has been to the dealer, and they have helped all they can. They checked everything out, and said "We can't find the problem" FORD sez... NO problem exsists !
IS there anyone else, that has this problem ?
How did you solve this ?
Is there a TSB ?
Can anyone HELP ?
SORRY, if this is a repost......... My daughter has an '05 Vert GT, and I have an '06 GT Coupe, with NO battery discharge problems. But, my friend is "pissed about this situation" and .......... "I don't BLAME him"
[sm=feedback.gif][sm=thanx.gif]
Old 12-16-2006, 12:37 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: DEAD BATTERY PROBLEMS.........

Having access to a multi-meter, i would begin by
monitoring the current drain from the
battery when the car is shut off.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:38 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Read this.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2281696/tm.htm

I had the same problem before.

Good luck

Pat

ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

a "GOOD FRIEND" called me tonight, with COMPLAINTS, that his '06 GT, is constantly "discharging", and won't start. He has been to the dealer, and they have helped all they can. They checked everything out, and said "We can't find the problem" FORD sez... NO problem exsists !
IS there anyone else, that has this problem ?
How did you solve this ?
Is there a TSB ?
Can anyone HELP ?
SORRY, if this is a repost......... My daughter has an '05 Vert GT, and I have an '06 GT Coupe, with NO battery discharge problems. But, my friend is "pissed about this situation" and .......... "I don't BLAME him"
[sm=feedback.gif][sm=thanx.gif]
Old 12-16-2006, 01:28 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

If by "constantly discharging" you mean that the battery goes dead after the car sits for a week or two, then it is quite possibly related to the amps on the skipper stereo system. Pretty common problem, been happening since the S197s came out. If you do not turn the radio off before you shut the car off, it will continue to power the amps resulting in a dead battery. But it will take a couple of weeks for the battery to go dead. Search function here resulted in 5 pages of results for that problem.

If you mean something else, like he can jumpstart the car and drive it somewhere, turn it off and it won't start because of a dead battery, then it could be a couple of different things. Most obvious would be that the battery has sulfated and will no longer accept a charge. Has the car thrown any CELs?
Old 12-17-2006, 04:43 PM
rotorr22
1st Gear Member

Agree, Hawgman. I use a battery buddy when I don't drive it for over a week. And yes, Ford says there is "nothing" regarding it on Alldata. So what else is new?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:35 AM
SpeedRacer9220
1st Gear Member

I am having the same problem as poster. I had the car for 5 months and the battery went dead. Took it in to dealer and they said the battery had a bad cell. I figured, Ok atleast it is fixed, nice and simple. Well, here it is 6 months later and the battery was dead again. I drive the car 5 days a week. I took it back in again sat and had the battery tested. Battery tested ok and the alternator tested ok but I have to wait till Mon for the mechanics to come in so they can do some other tests. I hope they can find out the problem. I will post when i get some info from dealer.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

This may or may not be useful. A friend has an 07 V6 convertible that was having the same battery draining problem. Took a few weeks for them to figure out the issue but it ended up being the computer. THe factory installed a computer for a hardtop. I guess there are slight differences between the two computers. They found this out when they tried to order a new computer and gave Ford the part number off of the old computer and ordered a new one. Ford confirmed that this was for a coupe, when the dealership told them it was a convertible, Ford told them they are ordering the wrong part. The dealership told them they are holding the computer in their hands and reading the part number right off of it. A Ford rep showed up the next day to confirm what the dearlship was saying and also brought a new convertible computer with him.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:44 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

WOW !! thanks, maybe this is "it" my buddy indeed has a vert. He'll check this out. Thanks !
Old 12-18-2006, 02:00 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

In addition to the above mentioned 'vert problems and the radio amps, you might also check to see if your buddy has UDPs and an electric water pump.

There's a few guys on m odularfords who seem to be having dead battery issues, and it seems to be correlated with having BOTH UDPs and the electric pump. Again, it's not a sure thing, but it's worth checking out.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:49 PM
steviewire

From over the pond in the UK. My 06 GT had this problem at the weekend, similar symptons what have been discussed on this thread and the other thread linked to this.

What I noticed when I turned ignition on is that there was power within the car but not enough to start. I had the sound coming from the shaker cd player similar to a cd shuffle for about two minutes .

I managed to get a jump start and go for a 20-30 mile drive, went out again on Sumday and everything was ok. I will try to arrange a test on the battery.

B.t.w at present I have only been driving the car at weekends so sounds common to other posters on here.

Great forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DEAD BATTERY PROBLEMS.........