Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MODDING 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 03:08 AM
gttt

Default MODDING 06 GT

looking into suping up my 2006 mustang gt. im definately going for a new exhaust system. i did find some clips on youtube of some borla setups that sounded really nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_YL9NruWQQ&NR . and i hear they make really high quality stuff so im looking into that. and also im looking into a cold air intake. the steeda one seems to be pretty popular. http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...-cai-full.html

could i get some links to parts that i should look into. these will be my first mods and my gt currently is stock. if i got the borla exhaust system should i just get just the cat back or what.

im also thinking of getting a TC or SC kit not sure yet though(looking at rousch stage 3 supercharger and the saleen supercharger) Im not sure if i want to fork over all that money though. if i were to though, would i have to get any other parts to go along with it. i hear maybe forged internals. i dont know very much about engines so excuse the naivety.

also, this has been bothering me: the saleen SC and roush SC are the same price but the saleen one gives like 40 more lbs of torque. how do the two compare. im more interested in torque than anything else, and i will be driving this everyday if that helps. i probably wont go for the SC if there is alot of other parts i have to get so my car wont explode, although i probably will end up not getting it anyways, at least not for a while.

thanks in advance for your input and time, i asked a whole lot of questions.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:29 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MODDING 06 GT

Get either the JLT II CAI or the C&L Racer CAI, they are the best IMO. If you are going for performance, a catback system is not going to really add any power but will definately make it sound a lot better.

-Jeff
Old 12-25-2006, 05:15 AM
06SSGT
1st Gear Member

+1 on the JLT or C&L. CMCV deletes are great also. You can get the Ford Racing deletes for about $90 now. Also, I hear good things about UDPs although I haven't tried them myself yet.

A twin screw blower like the Saleen, Kenne Bell or Whipple is much more efficient than a roots type blower like Roush or Magnuson. You can get away with the stock block as long as you don't go crazy with the boost and get a good tune.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:16 PM
TexStang06
2nd Gear Member

+1 on C&L or JLT....i like the JLT...looks nice, and was a bit cheaper
Old 12-26-2006, 05:49 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Lets not forget about long tube headers! They will help get the most of a S/C or a turbo. Go with the 1-3/4 primaries. A hi-flo cats or delete them altogether! hope this helps
Old 12-28-2006, 01:06 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

thinking of getting a TC or SC kit not sure yet though(looking at rousch stage 3 supercharger and the saleen supercharger) Im not sure if i want to fork over all that money though. if i were to though, would i have to get any other parts to go along with it. i hear maybe forged internals
There are a lot more parts than I realized, if you greatly increase rwhp as with a turbo or s/c.My tuner advises thatI have maxed out the stock internal and I use the street tune for daily driving.The first thing I noticed with the hp jump was how squirly the car was driving on the stock rims/tires. It was basically all wheel spin in 1st and 2nd and part of 3rd under heavy boost. First time I took it to the track,car made around13for the 1/4. Put on some fat 315 DRs and time improved to 12.5 but still had horrible wheel-hop. So next things were the wheelhop reduction kit and lower control arms. Now car did high 11s with 1.67 sixty foot. Next thingsare rear-end rebuild (so I can put on slicks without breaking something), 4:10 gears, spec clutch, short shifter, alum driveshaft. All these should bring car to 11.4-11.5 territory. My goal is high 10s but will need about 80-100 more horse, so that means built engine with forged this and that. So blower on its own has limited utility. At least, that's my impression.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:06 PM
gttt

yeah from what ive read, it doesnt look like a sc is the best bet...right now at least. im probably going to go with the kooks or dynatech LT headers and borla exhaust. then maybe some 4.10s and a suspension kit. probably a new c&l or jlt intake as well. i dont need such large gains as the sc will give me...not going to be racing it on the track for now. yeah, thanks for the advice forensicsteve, i was thinking that if i did get a blower there would be alot of other things/parts i would have to take into account.

thanks for all the help guys