Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Getting busted for an O/R Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:38 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default Getting busted for an O/R Pipe?

I was at school earlier talking to some domestic enthusiasts and I brought up the setup I want to get for my car(O/R-H pipe and some MAC axle backs), well turns out our sub was a car fan too(Dropped an LS2 into an old M-Benz that weighs as much as a civic) and he told me it was a big big fine to be caught without catalytic converters... He said it was something like 10,000 if you get caught...

Can anyone enlighten me if this is true, and if so, why are there so many people running around with Off road pipes(beyond the obvious sound, and performance benefits).
Old 01-11-2007, 02:09 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Getting busted for an O/R Pipe?

its $25,000 if you knowingly sell a car that has its emissions equipment tampered with.

nobody is going to catch you. ever. put it this way: a cop wont want to bother checking. even if you tell him.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:12 AM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

i thought it was 35,000
Old 01-11-2007, 02:14 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure it varies by state. Here in Texas, if you don't have cats, you don't pass inspection. Every time you get caught driving without a valid inspection sticker, you get fined. The fine is something like $150, but varies from court to court.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:17 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

I was talking about me buying the O/R H pipe, getting pulled over, having a cop look under my car and seeing no Cats, writing a "spoiled rich kid" a $10,000+ ticket and calling it a day. That is what I am scared about [8D]
Old 01-11-2007, 04:44 AM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

As a "cop" I would never write a ticket like that, too much scrutiny from the higher ups and it just plain looks bad.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:00 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You guys are confusing two things here.

On the LOCAL or state level, the only thing a cop can do is give you a citation for improper equipment. This varies from state to state, but usually it means you have to get it fixed within a certain amount of time. If you do that, you pay nothing (aka "fix it ticket"). Otherwise you have to pay a ticket whose price varies, but it something like $100-150. In many states they can't even do that much...they can just make you get an inspection, and in some areas that might be a problem.

For example, I live in Texas. In Harris county (Houston) they have a tailpipe sniffer test. So if you have an offroad pipe you'll fail, in which case you get to fix it and try again. On the other hand, if you go to a different county such as Grimes or Brazos they have no tailpipe test...it's just check for brakes, lights, and a horn. You could pass inspection there with no problem.

The high-dollar figure being tossed aboutis a FEDERAL law regarding emissions equipment. Technically the finecould bevery large, however, a typical cop couldn't charge you with that even if he wanted to,and it's not a simple ticket either. A FEDERAL attourney would have to prosecute you in cort for it. Even if you were found guilty, the Judge then gets to oppose sentance. There is no way that they would fine a private citizen that much money. Now if you were a dealership selling cars without cats...that might get their attention.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

You guys are confusing two things here.

On the LOCAL or state level, the only thing a cop can do is give you a citation for improper equipment. This varies from state to state, but usually it means you have to get it fixed within a certain amount of time. If you do that, you pay nothing (aka "fix it ticket"). Otherwise you have to pay a ticket whose price varies, but it something like $100-150. In many states they can't even do that much...they can just make you get an inspection, and in some areas that might be a problem.

For example, I live in Texas. In Harris county (Houston) they have a tailpipe sniffer test. So if you have an offroad pipe you'll fail, in which case you get to fix it and try again. On the other hand, if you go to a different county such as Grimes or Brazos they have no tailpipe test...it's just check for brakes, lights, and a horn. You could pass inspection there with no problem.

The high-dollar figure being tossed aboutis a FEDERAL law regarding emissions equipment. Technically the finecould bevery large, however, a typical cop couldn't charge you with that even if he wanted to,and it's not a simple ticket either. A FEDERAL attourney would have to prosecute you in cort for it. Even if you were found guilty, the Judge then gets to oppose sentance. There is no way that they would fine a private citizen that much money. Now if you were a dealership selling cars without cats...that might get their attention.
Wow, thank you for that explanation!

I don't care what the other MF'rs say, your not to bad [&:]
Old 01-11-2007, 01:40 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

it depends on if you have emissions, i live in massachussetts, i have a cat with no muffler on my camaro, its loud and obnoxious, i had a convo with one of my buddys whos a cop and he said it was a $100 ticket for changing the exhaust at all, but 99.9% of the time you will not get cited for it

they arent going to fine you that much for something like that
Old 01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Usually those large fines are reserved for the shop doing the work.

Quick Reply: Getting busted for an O/R Pipe?