Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best mod. with s/c

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:32 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Default Best mod. with s/c

What would be the best first mod. with a s/c; 3000 stall tci converter, or light weight one piece drive shaft. I will eventually do both but can only do one now then the other in about 4-6 months.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:05 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Best mod. with s/c

being that the transmission is electronicly controlled I would go with the converter. none of the canned tunes with blowers are very popular. having said that, you are best off with a custom dyno tune, and the converter is a factor in the mix. do it now and only pay for 1 dyno tune rather than 2 - save a couple bucks.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:37 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I would say suspension. You are going to be having all kinds of traction problems with that kind of HP ona stock suspension setup. Whypay big $$$ for that kind of HP if you can't put it to the pavement?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:37 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I'd have to agree with CrazyAl as there are so many posts from him and others that really nail what the rear suspension needs to get the HP to the ground. I originally wanted to get a S/C with brakes upgrades but I have gone another direction and doing my suspension with the S/C and then the driveshaft, then brakes, and finally new T-56 Viper6 spd! If only money grew on trees...I would want a forest!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

+1, at least control arms first!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I was planning on doingbmr lca and dr's, what else would I need to get power to the ground. Everyone says the converter is the weak point in the trans. also the drive shaft is a problem.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:00 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

they're right - I was just answering between the two you mentioned. a good suspension with a stock motor will get you almost the same performance as ridiculous horsepower and stock suspension.........Spinnin Aint Winnin
Old 02-02-2007, 11:23 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cfr865

I was planning on doingbmr lca and dr's, what else would I need to get power to the ground. Everyone says the converter is the weak point in the trans. also the drive shaft is a problem.
Well, with a blower you have two concerns. Obviously getting better traction is one of them, just like on an N/A car. But you also have to be worried about reliability. High HP levels can break things!

Is your car lowered? (If not are you planning on lowering it?) What kind of driving do you want to do? Street use? Drag racing? Road racing/Auto-X? Let us know and then we can suggest what you need to maximize your performance.

As for the converter, you are right--it is the weak spot in the transmission. It is definatley a good thing to mod...and Rodeo gave you good advice. But I'm just suggesting that you might want to rethink the order of your mods. Heck, a STOCK GT can spin the tirespretty easily. Fix that before you go onto throwing 100+ more horses at it!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:11 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

I am runninga KB at 10 PSI and my stock suspension has been doing pretty good. I get 1.7 sixty foot times.
I did the aluminum driveshaft first. Good mod with the S/C.
Then I did my trans and stall converter. have not tested them yet but I expect a .4 or .5 lower ET with the higher stall.
If I start to have problem hooking up I will add lower control arms then. That is all I will add for now.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:19 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

a 1.7 60ft with a supercharger doesn't impress me all that much, considering a good driver can cut 1.9's all night long with a stock GT on the stock Pirelli's.

okay disregard - your an auto lol

still, i'm guessing you are on drag radials at the bare minimum. with a good suspension a stock GT can cut that same 60ft. my 92 GT went low 13's here in Ca with a BONE STOCK motor. a couple of bolt-ons got me in the 12's and well, it got fast and expensive from there lol.

Quick Reply: Best mod. with s/c