Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Someone finally did it! Ford 9"

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:46 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Default Someone finally did it! Ford 9"

This was in my newest Summit Racing catalog. The photo shows everything they offer as a single unit. But the price is only for the rear end. Everything else is available though. $1400 for a full 9" bolt in rear end that your stock brakes will work with.Not bad considering they are asking $800 for the one piece aluminum driveshaft shown in the picture http://store.summitracing.com/partde...+400264+313176
Old 03-12-2007, 06:53 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Someone finally did it! Ford 9"

Hmmm, i wonder if my Denny's driveshaft will bolt up to that? Is it just a shell or does it have gears, axles, etc? Seems to cheap to me.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:26 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You've been able to get those for over a year now. Most of the custom axle makers offer them. Fully loaded (diff, gears, axles, brakes, etc.) expect to pay $3000 or more, depending of course on your exact component choices.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:07 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Exactly. I think the complete 9" rear is way overkill. There are 1600 hp machines pushing just fine on the 8.8

If you want to go the superman route, I would just weld up 9" housing ends and call it a day. Like Al said, once you start looking into the TOTAL cost of replacing your rear, you'll find it a little more expensive than you thought.

And want to be legal? Well then you have to factor in SFI approved axels wich will cost you plenty just for that shiny little sticker, longer wheel studs, etc. just to pass tech.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:09 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Yep.. Lots of people have already got them.. Moser, Currie, etc etc..

And once you add in an aluminum case, gears, a lock/spool, DS, etc etc.. you are talking $2800-3500 or even more..

Oh and who in the hell would order a 9" rear and use 31 spline axels..

Also you are better off to go with 33 or 35 splinegundrilled axels...
Old 03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Well, this one seems interesting because it allready has the ABS motion rings installed and all the brake components are a direct swap over and the price is right on.Also everything else is in place for a direct bolt up. The drop out center section of a 9" is what makes them the racers top choice. Set up different center sections and change them out in 30min in the driveway. And VSOP, while I have great respect for you, 31 spline axles are the largest listed by Superior, Mosser, Strange, and Alloy. 35 customs can be had from Strange but you have to use a Strange spool, no locker or limited slip comes in a 35 spline 9".
Old 03-12-2007, 08:47 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

I would like to say I have just lost all respect for you..
Maybe if you knew a bit more about what you are trying to talk about then you would have half a clue..

A 9" is the only way you can fit a 33 or more spline axlex (well at least a 9" end on the 8.8) Go look at what the hell you are talking about.. They have 33 & 35 spline, offer gun drilling, star flanges and more over at moser.
And Detrit lockers come in 35 spline

Go do your homework then post..

Also a 9" will also rob you of HP to the rear wheels.. over an 8.8.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:38 PM
22kart22
4th Gear Member

wow vsop take it easy. Maybe he didnt know, I didnt either so chill out.

Sorry about that bud
Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

wow vsop take it easy. Maybe he didnt know, I didnt either so chill out.

Sorry about that bud
And VSOP, while I have great respect for you, 31 spline axles are the largest listed by Superior, Mosser, Strange, and Alloy

Did you read that.. I don't need him patrinizing me, when he does not know what he is talking about. Hell he says they don't sell/list them yet if you load the moser site it has it on the front page that they have up to 35 splines for the 9". and in the Diff section they have the locker for 35 spline. You do not just bolt in a 9" rear end on a street car unless you have a real reason for it and that is very rare that a street car needs one. You need to be putting out serious TQ. And the only street cars I know of only need them for the track when they are hitting 300+ shots of nitrous ontop of motors already putting out 400+ rwhp and TQ on just motor.

a 9" is purely a Drag race rear and if you road race most would only use the 9" if they had to.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:07 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I suppose if you were trying to follow Summit Racing's "idea" of the "Millenium Car" (A 1000HP practically streetable car), then this might be something you'd want.

But if I werebuilding a race car and I needed the 9" rear end, I certainly wouldn't be using the stock brakes on it. A car like that would be stripped down and running some lightweight race brakes....and the whole thing would likely be custom anyway.

Quick Reply: Someone finally did it! Ford 9"