Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Raptor Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:00 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Raptor Install

ORIGINAL: hawgman

You can also hook it up to the PCM wiring. A little neater because it isn't another piece of clutter running over the top of the engine.
That's why I went to the drivers side COP by the firewall, so I didn't have to run wires through the bay. It's right by the gromett and the wire is ran with the bundle that's there anyway. Can't even see it. Unless going with aftermarket COPs, I don't see the need to run the wires to the PCM. Although I did have your write up with pictures saved from when you did it before Raptor came out with the 05 instructions.

**Edit: Oh, and I took her out for a spin and the light worked great. Damn thing is bright...
Old 04-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

scramblr

thanks for this write up...and all the other Raptor install write ups..
I installed mine yesterday....

Ran all to the same area
I had a hell of time getting it thru the grommet and up outta the engine bay to make the connections. I didnt want to take apart the tire well shroud. I was able to finally use a wire hanger to get the wire into positon to grab and pull up.

I used the third forward coil on the drivers side.(the wire was the most exposed and easy to access) I grounded to a braket attached to the strut tower brace and tapped the accessory (not sure which - but some one else posted it in a pic as a good source - and its the only one attached to the drivers side tower next to the dip stick). with a the tower brace I have I was able to neatin all the wires up and the only thing that looks out place is the green wire to the coil.

Raptor Placement

Engine Bay Connections

Old 04-15-2007, 10:28 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

see pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/29003/CB94B4F084374E4589AD33CC26297ED4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Meangreen1200
2nd Gear Member

I ran mine under the dash to the fuse box on the pasenger side kick plate for the hot. Then used the grommet on the passenger side and came up right under the battery with the green and ground. Hooked into the #1 coil and grounded out on the frame. Mounted the light in the middle of the gauges. That light is BRIGHT!!!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

thanks...

I wanted mine in direct line of vision.... also where I put it no wire shows.... fooled with about 15 placements before I chose the spot I put it...
Old 04-15-2007, 10:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well my thinking was running all the wires to the pcm, i would only have to hide one wire vs. three. I grounded to the core support right infront of the pcm where there was allready a ground and ran the other two wires to the pcm connectors. I didn't want to have to cut the raptor wireing harness and i didn't want to have to seperate the wires to different places on the vehicle.

I thought I could just use double sided tape and stick it to the A pillar, but the ****er won't stay up there so I guess i'm going to have to screw it.

ORIGINAL: scramblr

I grounded under the steering wheel column and went to the fuse box in the cabin. I don't see the need to go across the engine bay or even to the PCM, so why not use the coil closest to where the wire came out through the grommet? My question was answered and yes, any coil wire that is not red will work. Now I only have about 15 inches of wire to cover up vs to the passenger side coil or to the PCM. Just my preference.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06stangGT

see pic

That's where I put mine, but angled more upward. My tape won't stick though. I used alcohol to wipe down the A pillar. I guess I need to rough it up with some sand paper, that's better than a hole I guess.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:47 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

If you guys would feel around under the master brake cylinder, you'd find a small rubber grommet that's easily removed and not used by any wires. Not sure why it's there. It's covered up from the inside by the carpet, so it's not that easy to get the wires through, but they come out right in the engine bay.

ORIGINAL: Stkjock

scramblr

thanks for this write up...and all the other Raptor install write ups..
I installed mine yesterday....

Ran all to the same area
I had a hell of time getting it thru the grommet and up outta the engine bay to make the connections. I didnt want to take apart the tire well shroud. I was able to finally use a wire hanger to get the wire into positon to grab and pull up.

I used the third forward coil on the drivers side.(the wire was the most exposed and easy to access) I grounded to a braket attached to the strut tower brace and tapped the accessory (not sure which - but some one else posted it in a pic as a good source - and its the only one attached to the drivers side tower next to the dip stick). with a the tower brace I have I was able to neatin all the wires up and the only thing that looks out place is the green wire to the coil.

Raptor Placement

Engine Bay Connections

Old 04-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

yeah I mocked up running the wires over to the PCM area... but I am a real novice at this stuff... and if was much easier for me to (it was clear in my mind) to hook them up as I did... I just did not conceptually get the PCM hookup as the online instuructions gave...

fact is..... they all work and we are all loving that bright light!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:02 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: 06stangGT

see pic

That's where I put mine, but angled more upward. My tape won't stick though. I used alcohol to wipe down the A pillar. I guess I need to rough it up with some sand paper, that's better than a hole I guess.

the tape they give you isnt very good. As you can probably tell from the pic, mines JUST sticking on there. I'll probably have to change it soon enough.

Quick Reply: Raptor Install