Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default Car Detailing

I was just wondering how many of you pay to get it done and how many do it themselves. We just had a another detail shop around here open up and they charge about 100 bucks, but they go over EVERYTHING, including waxing etc...
I got it done once by this guy who everybody said is good. When I picked it up it looked better than the day I bought it! Alot of people go to him.But he is booked up so bad it can take weeks or months to get in. He does paint chips too.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:04 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Car Detailing

I paid 180 last year for everything, inside and out and engine bay. Well worth it IMO. I did have a place that did it back home on my other car, it was only 106 and the results were just about as good.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

Do it yourself! A case of corona's, a few limes and some elbow grease! No better way to spend a saturday!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:20 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

My last two cars I had detailed every six months. Looked great, but, paint disappears with these poeple. Don't plan to go to detailers anymore! Meguiar's products are GREAT!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

i've always done it myself. in the summer as long as its not crappy out, i'll spend at least 3 hours either day just going over it, more if its wax time...even more if is clay bar time. if it stays decent this weekend, its gonna be a long clay bar time.

i've always wondered what it'd be like to take in for a detailing. i might do it sometime just to see how well i stack up. but like someone above me said, i'd be scared about the paint stuff, but i'm sure there are people out there who can do it without much problem to your paint..(i assume)
Old 03-23-2007, 06:42 PM
ModernMuscle
2nd Gear Member

I do everything myself, as I used to detail cars back in college. It takes me around 6-8 hours from start to finish, paint cleaner, polish, and wax (3 coats). I use Meguires Spray Detailer after every wash to keep my finish nice, and Clay her once every 3 months, or when necessary. The only thing i might take to a professional is my interior. I like to have the lines in the carpet, a nice shampoo'd carpet, and conditioned leather. I can do it myself, but the guy I know up here does the interior for $40, and the whole thing for $150, engine and all.
And by the way, a 6" orbital buffer makes for an amazing shine, its well worth the investment, and unlike a 10 or a 12, you can get in tight places. Put a hand shined surface vs. an orbitally shined one, and its astounding.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:44 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dumpweed

i've always done it myself. in the summer as long as its not crappy out, i'll spend at least 3 hours either day just going over it, more if its wax time...even more if is clay bar time. if it stays decent this weekend, its gonna be a long clay bar time.

i've always wondered what it'd be like to take in for a detailing. i might do it sometime just to see how well i stack up. but like someone above me said, i'd be scared about the paint stuff, but i'm sure there are people out there who can do it without much problem to your paint..(i assume)
Try Mequairs' NXT Generation Quick Detailer with either Terry or Micro clothes. Awesome!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:00 PM
pegasusphototx
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory

ORIGINAL: Dumpweed

Try Mequairs' NXT Generation Quick Detailer with either Terry or Micro clothes. Awesome!
I like Mother's Showtime quick detailer. Got a sample at a car show last year and it was clearly a deeper shine than the Mequires I was using. Give it a shot, I don't think it'll disappoint!

-danny
Old 03-23-2007, 07:29 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I do my self..I consider this therapy....
Old 03-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Feng Houzi

Do it yourself! A case of corona's, a few limes and some elbow grease! No better way to spend a saturday!
Damn skippy!! [sm=closed.gif]Dont forget an iPod, Shaker500, Jimmy Buffett!!

Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow!!

Quick Reply: Car Detailing