Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SLP Powerflo Axle-Back Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Default SLP Powerflo Axle-Back Impressions

Hi guys, I removed my Mac mufflers yesterday and installed some brand new SLP Powerflo's instead. I could not find much information on these, so decided to take the leap and see for myself.

The fit finish on the parts is very good, I am impressed. The Powerflo system comes in 3 pieces, the rear section that attaches to the mid-pipe, a bullet-style muffler, and then a VERY nice 4" exhaust tip (note there is an old version of the powerflo out there with a 2.5 tip. If you buy them, make sure you get the one you want). Installation took a bit longer than a typical muffler as there are 3 clamps involved with each piece. The SLP system is much lighter than the stock system, and is easy to bolt up given the amount of space you have left over under there. The mufflers are straight thru with some perforations around the sides.

Now for the sound. They are definitely louder and more aggressive than stock. The sound at idle is a typical rumble that you would expect. Low and gurgly. During normal driving there is only minimal and very tolerable drone around the 1500-2000 RPM range, and it is not consistent. I wasn't having it vibrate my entire head to the point of discomfort like the Macs do. Every blip of the throttle and acceleration lets you know they are there and you get a nice even aggressive tone out of them. At full throttle they really scream and sound wonderful. My wife heard me from our driveway all the way down the street and around a bend thru trees, houses, etc. about 1/4 of a mile away when I nailed it turning on to the main road. I found cruising on the highway to be nearly silentunless you tap the gas or start going up a hill. I was easily having a conversation without being distracted and I could hear the radio just fine.

The interesting thing about this system is my butt dyno immediately sensed a change. I had felt like I might have lost power with the Macs. I am usually a skeptic with the butt dyno, and I can't back this up with any real #'s, but I swear these things caused a slight hp/torque increase. *shrug*
[sm=alcoholic.gif]

All in all, I would label this as a high-quality system with great sound and minimal drone. This would be perfect for someone looking for a nice system that isn't as loud as possible, but is aggressive sounding in general, louder than stock, and will turns heads a few blocks away at WOT. This is a system that gets you the aftermarket musclecar sound, but would be livable day-to-day. I paid $499 for mine shipped, and even got an SLP hat with it.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SLP Powerflo Axle-Back Impressions

Nice write up! I am actually considering these. I am not sold on them yet but I am really leaning that way. Im also playing with some other exhaust ideas involving an o/r h pipe as well. We will see! Thanks for the good write up!

Joel
Old 04-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

When I get longtubes and a different midpipe I will be switching to the Powerflos. Got any pics of your setup?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:21 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

we need sound clips.

how loud compared to teh macs?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:16 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Interesting, thanks for the review. I'm wondering how they compare with the stingers, from the pictures they look similar.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

They are not quite as loud as the Macs and don't have the insanely deep vibration/drone. I'd say they fall between the Macs and stock for overall loudness, although at WOT they lean more towards the Mac volume, and at crusing they act more towards the stock end of the spectrum, but still a bit louder. They are pretty balanced IMO. They're loud when you want it, and quieter when you don't. I'm really pleased with them. I don't have a good way to record them unfortunately... perhaps with the laptop...

If I had a single complaint it would be the way the tips line up. They are slanted slightly inward and not directly out the center of the cut-outs as I would like. They don't look bad though, and at least they match. The tips themselves are top-notch.