Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long-tube header opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 10:25 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default Long-tube header opinions

I've been doing some research on LTs and I was wondering a few things.
I noticed the American Racing and Kooks long tube hearders look like they have flanges on the ends to bolt the mid-pipe too. I will probably end up getting my current off-road h-pipe cut and bent for use with the LTs or if it'll be easier/cheaper to buy a new mid-pipe,I'd get a catted h-pipe for daily driving. Do any othermanufacturers makeLTsthat you can bolt the mid-pipe onto?
For when I go to the drag strip, I'd like to be able to just unbolt the mid-pipe from the headers.
I looked at cutouts but they'd have to be welded onto the headers and the mid-pipe (if purchased with the headers) would have to be cut to fit the cutouts. It also looks like the mid-pipe would have to be welded onto the cutout as well. Is this right?

JBA is the only company that seems to sell their LTs with a h-pipe. Do any other companies offer an h-pipe for their headers? I don't want to get the JBA h-pipe and then have to modify it to work with the headers I get (if I don't go with JBA). I'd really like to stick with an h-pipe. If I get cutouts or unbolting the mid-pipe at the drag strip would work, then i'll get a catted mid-pipe.

Cliff's Notes: Which headers can you bolt the mid-pipe to? Do cutouts only weld in? Do any LT manufacturers besides JBA have a matching h-pipe?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:22 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Long-tube header opinions

Which headers can you bolt the mid-pipe to? Do cutouts only weld in? Do any LT manufacturers besides JBA have a matching h-pipe?

ARH has an H pipe planned for release very shortly. It will bolt right up to the long tubes and the over axle pipes exactly the way their X pipe does. My understanding is it will be available in off road or catted versions.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:45 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BoidMorphs

ARH has an H pipe planned for release very shortly. It will bolt right up to the long tubes and the over axle pipes exactly the way their X pipe does. My understanding is it will be available in off road or catted versions.
Oh man, that sounds like the setup for me. I was already leaning towards the ARH LTs. I noticed in your sig that you have them with an x-pipe...how do you like them? Did you install them yourself? If so, how was the fitment? I've heard about fitment issues with some LTs.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:14 AM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I absolutely love my headers. I initially went with the o/rx pipeand with Borla stingers it trumpeted at certain lower rpms when accelerating through the gears. I drove down to ARH facility and Nick had the cats welded on while I waited. I actuallyfealt more low end torque after the cat install.I think this was becausemyN/A enginecoupled with 1 3/4" primaries had minimal back pressure and may have been running a little lean. The cats put an end to the trumpeting and it sounded awesome. In an effort to get rid of drone I then went to Zoomers which helped.The goal is to go supercharged someday and this exhaust will really do any power adder justice.
I didn't do the install but everyone who has says it's a breeze with no fitment issues. ARH are an investment but they are well worth it. There's a shop in PA that is going to dyno test the X pipe vs. the H pipe to see what difference there is between the two. I think it's great ARH is offering either choice!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:55 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

pypes any good? not sure if those need to be modified to fit the long tube headers your planning on or if they are mostly universal...?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Foose12
2nd Gear Member

Kooks, American Racing, or Dynatech...........any one are awesome
Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Which one would be louder? I am considering the Dynatech system heavily but I heard one of the guy's car at the mid atlantic cruise who had the American Racing set up and I LIKED! Another guy sent me some clips of the Dynatech set up and it sounds amazing but I still havent seen it in person.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:46 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I don't think loudness should even be a factor since they should be very close. The finaldecibels will depend more on what you put with them out back or if you go off road vs. catted. If you want loud put SLP loudmouths with either system.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:21 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

I had the SLP loudmouths on for awhile and it was utter hell when i went past people ....but it was just too damn loud starting up at 6am and my neighbors started saying that they're houses were shaking when I was starting up my car and driving down the street....but it was probably the best sounding car i have ever heard!!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:41 PM
*bmxking*
1st Gear Member

i have dynatech and i love them. very nice sound with flowmasters. worth every penny i paid for them. if you want to get a nice old school sound then i would go with these..