Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold air plus tune = high octane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:42 PM
topdownboy
1st Gear Member

Default Cold air plus tune = high octane?

If I get a cold air intake and a tune, does that mean I need to use premium gas or is there a tune that will give me more horses without using premium?
Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cold air plus tune = high octane?

when you order your tuner device, you can
specify the octanes you want your 3 tunes
to be for. ie 87, 91 & 93

ORIGINAL: topdownboy

If I get a cold air intake and a tune, does that mean I need to use premium gas or is there a tune that will give me more horses without using premium?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:00 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I had my car dynotuned with long tube headers and a K&N CAI on 87 octane gas. The tuner was pissed I didn't come into his shop with 93 octane gas. A few months later I returned with high test gas and the RWHP and RWTQ figures were identical. He was dumbfounded and said my car just wouldn't take timing advance. The knock sensor would just automatically pull timing so I figured WTF, I may as well just run 87 octance fuel which is exactly what I've been doing ever since. I wonder how many other people out thereare ona phsychological power high thinking their car is faster due to 93 octane gas. I'm willing to bet if they did a test they may find the exact same thing holds true with their cars but who would believe it? I also thought somewhere deep down inside my car the California emissions package may have something to do with this.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:44 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Higher octane will allow more advanced timing. The knock sensors will not go off if the tune is done correctly. I have always run 93 in mine and had no problems. The higher octane will allow you to get more HP.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:37 PM
topdownboy
1st Gear Member

Ok, I have another question. Which is the best Cold Air intake if I :

A) Just want the air intake and no tune.
B) Want the air intake but will get the tune later. The tune will be for (87 octane only).

I seem to get different answers from different people. I wish the advertised cold air devise would say you need a tune or not right up front.

Oh, one more thing. does a ram air improve the horsepower of a cold air intake?

thanks guys.The more peopls I hear from the better.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

I purchased the Steeda intake & high-flow inlet with Brenspeed tunes... I'm currently running an 87 until I drain my tank and can fill it up with premium (91 or 93). 93 isn't available near my house, so I'll probably stick to the 91. If you really want to get the performance out of an intake, you'll want it retuned. Even the 87 custom tune does a world a difference. Most CAI's require a tune to be done; the tune increases both horsepower and theoretically, efficiency. Now I just hit the gas harder, so the efficiency went out the window. I would save up for a CAI+tune versus your other options. Also, a CAI+tune will be cheaper than purchasing and painting a ram air hood, and you'll get much better gains.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:32 PM
ezio350
2nd Gear Member

If you dont want to spend the money right away on the tuner, get a K&N, S&B, or AirRaid intake. These dont require a tune and do wonders for our cars. The downside is when you get a tune later, you wont feel as much difference as if you get both together at one time.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:20 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: topdownboy

Ok, I have another question. Which is the best Cold Air intake if I :

A) Just want the air intake and no tune.
B) Want the air intake but will get the tune later. The tune will be for (87 octane only).

I seem to get different answers from different people. I wish the advertised cold air devise would say you need a tune or not right up front.
Get the combo together, no question about it and they do tell you if a tune is required or not so I am not sure what you mean by telling you up front??
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
topdownboy
1st Gear Member

What I mean by "Up fromt" is, that when I am surfing for C Air intakes and see a photo of the device and it s price it doe not mention needing a tune or not. It may say inside the box on the instructions, but I cant see the instructions etc the way they have the product displayed on the net.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:10 PM
topdownboy
1st Gear Member

Why dont people sell their tuners when they are done with them? Is there a place to share tuners? maybe rent them for a while?

Quick Reply: Cold air plus tune = high octane?